52 Dates: #14 - Golf at South Gate & Smart Phone Miracle

*Side note: headed to St. George today to help take care of the Ridings - big recovery ahead of Cassie Jo what with massive removals from her intestines, but she is home from the hospital and trying to be positive.

Found a ball that said "Burke" on it - what the heck?! 

While we were in St. George for the weekend my Dad had scheduled an afternoon tee time to golf with his son-in-laws.  However, Dan was taking the kids to the hospital to see Cassie and since Daphne was napping, I decided at the last minute to join them.  So, basically Burke and I had a chaperoned date with my Dad. :)


The Pa and I waiting for the two-some in front of us to tee off.

It had been almost two years since I had been out on the greens, but I found I played fairly well (for my standard) and kept up with the fellas.  One thing about golfing with my Dad is he loves to walk the course and very rarely rents a cart.  Usually, I prefer it that way as well and enjoy walking the beautiful green grass from shot to shot, but I had never walked this course before and it turned out to be quite the trek.  We estimated we probably walked a minimum of four or five miles with our twenty pound clubs on our backs and the hot sun beating down.  By hole nine, I was thoroughly pooped!

Proof that we go on dates together - I need to be better at taking pictures of the two of us

I also have to tell you about the miracle that happened after our golf date.  Apparently while we were loading up the clubs in the car, Burke had put his Droid on the bumper of the car and forgot to put it back in his pocket before we pulled away.  We drove fifteen minutes back to the Ridings house and walked inside before he realized his phone wasn't on him.  We looked all over the car, but he knew he had left it on the bumper.  We grabbed Daphne and jumped in our car to drive back to the course and search for it.  We said a family prayer before leaving, asking that we would be able to find the phone and that it wouldn't be ruined.

Cassie's beautiful spring tulips

As we drove I felt more and more sick to my stomach, realizing just how much information we have on there. We almost always use the video feature on it to film Daphne's milestones and I was heartbroken to think of the dozens of videos we would lose if we couldn't find it, not to mention all of Burke's work information and other personal notes he uses the phone to record.  When we got back to the course, we searched all over the parking lot, but with no luck.  At last Burke decided to ask the pro shop if someone had turned it in.  I shook my head and said no one would turn in a 300 dollar phone, but Burke just shrugged and said, "I have faith that most people are honest."


When he came back to the car five minutes later, he shook his head slowly and I almost burst into tears when he suddenly pulled out the phone (in perfect condition) from his pocket with a grin.  Sure enough, someone found it in the parking lot and turned it in.  I really did start crying then and we said a prayer of gratitude to Heavenly Father for preserving such an important tool to us.  I felt ashamed for not trusting the integrity of the finder and felt a strengthening in my faith that God knows us and is aware of us, even in silly matters like a materialistic phone!

Comments