Darcie Stats: 2 Months Old

I was writing Darcie's 3 month letter and realized that I never posted her 2 month letter!  So this is actually over a month old.  Month 3 will be up soon!


So interesting how taking these pictures at a different time of day in the girls' room changed the lighting/coloring so dramatically.  Can you believe how much she chunked out in 1 month?!



Dearest Darc-a-dill,

Yes, the nicknames have already been piling up!  Darc (the "c" pronounced as an "s") is of course the most frequent, with D.C., The Dozer, and Darc-a-dill close behind.  My personal favorite is when we were on a Sunday drive just a week after you were born and you were whimpering while Daphne was chattering.  I turned around to respond to Daphne while tuning into your cries and said, "Yes Darfnie?"  Daddy, Daphne and I had a good laugh, but "Darfnie" has stuck as our nickname for the two of you as a duel entity.  I have this vision in my mind of you little ladies in a few years out playing in the back yard getting into some mischief and me calling out the window, "Darfnie! Knock that off!"




Daphne is increasingly enamored with you and often includes you in her prayers.  Just yesterday she said, "I'm thankful for my Darcie" and it made me tear up to hear how tenderly she referred to you.  She is always quick to help me if you need a burp rag or a binky and she feels sad for you when you're crying.  For example, when we went to your two month check-up a few days ago she was awfully upset when the nurses were giving you your vaccination shots.  She had this horrified look on her face as they pulled the needles out and leaned over to hold your hand in hers.  When you started howling as they gave you the shots, she grimaced and said over and over again, "It's okay Darcie.  It's going to be okay."  You took a long time to be consoled and the entire time Daphne was near tears as she fretted over you.  It touched me to see how protective she was of her baby sis.


Speaking of your 2 month appointment, our suspicions were confirmed that you are growing like a weed!  At your two week checkup you had gone from your birth weight of 7.3 lbs to 7.6 lbs.  7 weeks later you weighed in at 10.10 lbs (25th percentile) and you have grown from 19 inches to 22.25 inches (31st percentile) with a head circumference of 39 cm (69th percentile).  Our new pediatrician was impressed with your weight gain as he said most babies at this age have only gained 2-3 pounds and you are over at 3.5 lbs weight gain!  That's my chunky monkey.

Darcie and I with my OB Dr. Sanders at my six week checkup - he is a fabulous doctor.

I am so happy that we decided to take you to a new pediatrician.  Dr. Newman was just fine, but after having such terrific pediatric care in St. George, we weren't very impressed with him in comparison.  I decided to switch this month and take you to Premier Pediatrics instead.  We got in with Dr. Dowse who not only has 30 years experience of pediatric care, but also has 10 children of his own!  I was super impressed with him and his staff who were all so friendly and helpful.  It sets my heart at ease to know you will have such a competent team advising us as you grow.


After you received your immunizations, I was shocked at how differently you responded than Daphne did as a baby.  Daphne would let out a little yelp and maybe shed a tear or two and then be sleepy all day.  You on the other hand were affected much more dramatically.  You howled and wailed after the shots and would not be comforted until I finally had to nurse you to get you to calm down.  You were fussy all day and started to develop a fever soon after.  That night we asked our home teacher to come give you a blessing with Daddy because we were so worried about you.  After the blessing, you noticeably calmed and by the next day you were back to your calm self.  I don't know if your body just reacts to things differently or if you have a lower pain threshold, but whatever the case, I am nervous that you will have a hard time with immunizations each visit.



A few other physical things that have been happening this month include major baby acne (poor thing!) and a peely scalp.  You have not struggled with cradle cap all over your head as badly as Daphne did, but there are spots of dead skin on your scalp that we have to rub off every few days.  You continue to love tubby time and are a champion eater.  You still have surprise puking episodes, but they are down to about every other day now.


One of my favorite things about this age is watching you wake up from a deep sleep.  It is absolutely precious to see you throw your neck back and clench your fists next to your head as you purse your lips and squint your eyes tights as can be, tensing every muscle in your body before sighing deeply and melting into a relaxed puddle in my arms.  Just writing that makes me smile as I imagine your darling little body going through the process.


I feel like the first month of life for both you and Daphne could be described as the "sleepy kitten" stage.  I had to double check on the internet to make sure it was normal for newborns to be sleeping 18-20 hours like you were.  This month I feel like you have begun "waking up" to the world into which you've been born.  I first started to notice it on Sunday, November 16, as you were a bit over 5 weeks old.  You began to focus on us more fully and began to respond to our voices and facial features.  You have been smiling more and more often and seem to be making sounds "at" us instead of random grunting here and there.



Some of my favorite times together is when you have your alert period in the evenings about an hour before Daddy and I go to bed.  We snuggle in bed with you or prop you up on our legs while we stare in wonder at your expressive little face as you experiment with your muscles and stare around the room with a wide-mouthed "o".  We love watching as you discover this world, amazed by every sight and sound.  Daddy and I ooo and aww over you as you ooo and aww over your surroundings.  How we adore you darling and can't wait to hear you laugh and babble soon!  Grow on little one.

Love you forever and always,

Your Mama

Comments