Court Ordered

Burke just basically court ordered me to the basement and insisted that I blog for an hour.  Bless that man of mine!  I've been down here for 6 minutes and he has already asked Daphne not to bug me 3 times.  She keeps making a break for the stairs and is so distressed that I am not up there.  It's so precious to me that she feels like our family is incomplete if I'm not right there with them.  I can hear Burkie bathing Darcie; splashes and bursts of bubbly baby laughter float down the hall as she soaks in the fragrant smells, the warm water and her Daddy's undivided attention.

Daphne just snuck to the stairs and whispered, "Hey Mom?  I have this curly ribbon and I don't know what to do with it.  Will you come help me make something?"  To which I responded that I would be happy to in 1 hour.  She replied, "Okay Mom, I will just sit here and wait for you."  She still has such a vague concept of time, frequently mixing up months, days, hours and years.  She has no idea how long she will be waiting if she lasts that long.  Makes me smile.  She is singing nonsense songs to herself as I type, cemented to the top stair and anxiously waiting for me to reappear.

Here's a few things that are currently on my mind:

Lately, Darcie does this hilarious head shake back and forth.  She knows she's being funny and I marvel every time that an 8 month old baby can already understand humor.  She gives kisses when we tap our cheeks and request, "Kisses Darce? Kisses?"  She has been rocking back and forth on her knees for weeks, but has no ambition to mobilize completely yet.  Happy, chill little babe.  Steals hearts everywhere we go.


Daphne is into bugs.  She catches scores of them every day, piling one on top of the other in her new birthday bug catcher.  Who's kid is this again?  She is learning to read in earnest now and sounds out words from the condiment bottles and signs all around town.  Here list of sight words is growing longer each week. Yesterday she dictated her first story for me to write down.  Then she read almost the whole thing to Burke in the evening.  She can find middle C on the piano and loves to sit down and "play".  She says "dangit!" when she drops things or "you gotta be kidding me!"  She amazes me.

Daphne with a rollie pollie

Burke has been learning a new song on the guitar called "Chinese Translation" and it's frequently stuck in my head.

He's lost 10 lbs since January and looking so dang good.  However, today I threw away some cookies that he was hoping to reward himself with at lunch and that did not go over well. #oldhabitsdiehard  Sorry babe!  He made Daphne a sandbox for her birthday and initiated his very first monthly PPI (Personal Priesthood Interview or Personal Papa Interview) with Daphne on Sunday.  Eavesdropping on their conversation from the bedroom was so precious.  Daph's biggest worry was that she didn't know how to do a somersault, can't climb trees as well as she'd like to and she doesn't know how to write S's or W's.  Burke took all of her comments so seriously and wrote all her goals down in a new notebook.  On Monday they watched Youtube videos on how to do somersaults and practiced twenty times in the living room.  Best daddy ever.

Hot man.


Lately, the days often run together and I forget what I did two days ago because it is so much like what we did today and will do again tomorrow.  Watering the garden and flowers, preping, eating and cleaning for meals, reading stories, Mom School for Daphne while Darcie naps, bathing and dressing miniature humans, weeding, mowing and maintaining the yard, trips into town for groceries, park dates with friends and library runs, cleaning the house, playing with the girls, laundry, laundry and more laundry.  Since our girls go to bed so early (between 7 and 8 PM), by the time Burke gets home from work and we eat dinner together, we usually only have an hour or so to spend time together as a family.  Once the girls are in bed, we usually talk while cleaning up the kitchen, run to church meetings or dash outside to utilize the last hour of daylight on some project.  Burke and I read scriptures together, pray and fall into bed around 10.  If we are real rebels, we stay up late talking, goal setting, playing the guitar, reading, budgeting and laughing until 11ish and then chastise ourselves for our foolhardiness when one of the girls wake up at 2 AM (I swear they are playing tag team).  I try to wake up early enough to get in a morning run a few times a week or I steal away for a 15 minute shower during the day while Darcie naps and Daphne plays with toys.  In the evenings I always try to read for 15 to 20 minutes to keep up on the reading for my two book clubs.  However, most of the days my wants are swallowed up by the needs of my 3 great loves.

***Just had to insert that about 15 minutes into being down here, Daphne shattered glass everywhere while Burke was bathing Darcie.  After a 10 minute break for cleaning up glass shards, I am back at it!***

Thus, the documentation of our days has become increasingly infrequent and my need for an outlet has grown stronger.  Where I once utilized Daphne's nap times for blogging and personal time, the last year and a half  has erased that luxury, disappearing with her naps and the birth of baby sis.  Most weeks and months I feel happy and fulfilled by this stage of life and my place within it.  But every once in a while, the need to create, to express and to unwind gnaws at that short thread of patience I'm hanging onto at the end of the day, threatening to send me sprawling in an exhausted puddle of tears.

And that is why I married Alan Burke Adams.  He knows me so well and can sense when the weariness is beginning to build.  In the end, the result is this court order to the basement.  I always emerge a brighter, younger, better version of myself and he well knows that is a benefit to everyone in the house.  Cause when Mama ain't happy...


Lest that last bit of unprocessed thoughts sound like a complaint, I am just excited to be writing, documenting the simple busyness that is our life right now.  I absolutely love being a stay at home mother of two!  What I wouldn't do for these two little girls!  Darcie with her chunky thighs and angel face, Daphne with her bright mind and boundless energy.  I am so grateful I get to be with these lovely little dollies from sun up to sun down.

Wow, 90 minutes gone!  That time went way too fast.  Isn't it ridiculous that in the hour that I had to myself, all I wanted to do is write about them?!  Catch up posts to come, but for now, there's a glimpse into our realm of ordinary!

Comments