The More You Give...

When something is given, you've lost something, right? Kapoot! Eliminado! For example; let's say I have my very favorite Almond Joy candy bar that I want to hog all to myself, BUT I know that my mama and sisters have the same drive for chocolate as I do. So instead of devouring the delicious morsel the way I'd like to, I spread the joy a little by sharing my chocolate goodness. It's gone, all eaten up! Yum! So, that same law should apply to things other than food right? Money, service and especially our time. Yet Burke and I have discovered an incredible phenomenon. The more we give to one another, the more we receive! It sounds impossible, but Nay! Tis not! If you don't believe me, just observe a recent personal example.
A few weeks ago Burke and I were feeling the stress of planning a wedding, compounded by the fact that we are hundreds of miles away and missing each other like crazy. We experienced a period where the two of us were not in harmony and it certainly was taking its tole. Yikes! Yet suddenly, one night, we consciously made a decision to demonstrate love, rather than frustration and VOILA! The rift that had been forming was magically mended and our relationship was stronger than ever before! I felt a deeper desire to serve him and to do everything in my power to make him happy. So I began to give simple gestures of love but I never gave without receiving! Burke always responded with his own demonstrations of love like a package of corn nuts out of the blue just because they are my all time fav! :)

A couple weeks ago as I anticipated Burke's arrival on a Friday night, I spontaneously decided to surprise him with a little candlelight dinner. The construction on the house wasn't quite complete, so I set up tea candles along the perimeter of my parent's new porch, still missing the railings. When Burke arrived around 10 PM after his long drive he was a bit exasperated when Tasha answered the door and insisted he change into something a little more 'appropriate.' I think he was grateful he obliged once he came up and viewed the romantic scene I had created for him! And you know - despite the fact that I was giving, I sure felt like I was gaining the world!


So next time you and your sweetheart are at odds, don't forget that a little token of love and a little less thinking of yourself can go a long way! Thanks for all you do Burkito!


Posted by Picasa

Comments