Zakia's Baptism

This past weekend we went to Salt Lake to celebrate this little guys birthday.

Zakia turned eight years old and we were so happy to be able to make the trip up to celebrate with him! We gave him this clearly incredible luchador mask that we got in Mexico on our honeymoon and he got into character right away!

On Saturday morning Burke, Amy, Karl, Daddy and I had the opportunity to attend a session in the Salt Lake Temple. The only other time I had been to the SLC temple was for baptisms a few years ago, so this was a really neat experience for me. Burke and I were asked to be the witness couple (we got to be the couple in the Manti temple too!) and it was a beautiful experience. There is something so neat about doing a session with family and realizing that my love for them on this earth will continue on in the eternities that lie ahead. What a marvelous reality!
When we returned to the house, big fat snowflakes were swiftly falling and covering the brown world outside with a pure white sheet. Zakia sweetly told Amy, "I think it's snowing because it's my baptism day. It's like that scripture; though your skins be as scarlet, they will be as white as snow." What a special little guy!

The baptism was lovely with Burke and Daddy acting as witnesses and Burke, Gabe, Karl, Daddy and Bishop Taylor confirming him with the holy ghost. My favorite part was the talk Dad gave about birth and rebirth. He gave a wonderful example from our recent family miracle (the safe arrival of Chelsea's premature baby Desmond) comparing how being encircled about by water in our mother's womb protects us in our birth into the world, just as being immersed in the waters of baptism protects us in our rebirth into the world. I'm afraid I can't put it as poignantly as Papa did, but there was a strong spirit and I was so grateful we had made the trip to be there. Thanks for hosting us Kirby Family! We love you!

Comments

Katie said…
How fun! I didn't know they moved to Salt Lake, did they?!