A Series of Unfortunate Events

We just returned from an amazing week in Logan that I will be documenting shortly, but I would like to preserve some memories for my future children of some of the thoughtless things their father and I have managed to do in the last couple of weeks.

1) On our final flight from Salt Lake to Vegas we hit bad turbulence.  Fact: I am terrible at flying.  I don't know how I have managed to travel so many places with my deep-seated fear of heights and the unavoidable captivity of bouncing along in a metal man-made albatross 40,000 feet above ground.  Luckily, the last 3 flights we have been on have been relatively smooth, so this was Burke's first time ever seeing me in my in-flight-panic-mode.  As I bawled my eyes out and destroyed the circulation in his arm, the Japanese woman behind us was heaving her guts out and several other passengers were having similar come-aparts.  Once we landed the steward confirmed that it had been a rocky flight and placed it at a 7 on a scale from 1-10.  I'm glad we won't be flying for a while.

2) In his attempts to calm me during our awful flight, Burke lost track of our I-Pod Touch and it wasn't until the baggage claim that we realized it was missing.  Normally, this wouldn't be a huge deal except that our Touch had all of our contact information for the people we met in France, Burke's ideas for his inventions some day, a day by day list of every single Euro we spent in Europe, song ideas, general conference notes, etc...  We filed a report with Delta, but they said they would only contact us if they found the I-Pod.  Sadly, we've given up hope of having our valuable information returned to us.

3) The next day I was trying to condense our 2,000 pictures and videos from Europe into a manageable 30-40 minute slide show to show our family when I somehow managed to delete the hard copy of all of our videos in Germany.  It made me sick to my stomach that I could have been so careless.  Argh!

4) Two days later we went to the Sandhollow with Mike's family.  Before we left the house I told Burke,
"I'm not bringing my wedding ring, I don't even want to risk it."  He agreed whole-heartedly while slipping his wedding band on.  While bouncing around on the tube with Kristen and LeeAnn, they took a huge spill and upon resurfacing, Burke realized his ring was no longer on his finger.  In the boat a bit later a subdued Burke held out his hand to me with his head hung low.  I didn't get it for a full minute and then gasped, "Your ring!"  We were both heart sick!

So in little less than 3 days we have managed to lose 2 items over a $500 dollar value and videos that contained priceless memories.  On the up side - we're sure grateful that it isn't my ring at the bottom of a lake and that we are both happy, healthy and safe.  Here's to being a little less careless in the future!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear that!! Ill send you positive thoughts and pray you get your stuff back! xoxoox
Mindy said…
Oh ... wow. :( Another perk, you didn't lose a FINGER that is now floating in the lake. ;) That's kinda gross. Pretend I didn't say it. :)
Chelsea said…
Brig lost his wedding ring too! We got him a high quality wal-mart replacement. :)