What Not To Wear

There used to be a TV show called "What Not To Wear."  I've never seen it myself to be truthful, but the hosts were well known for ripping apart the heinous ensembles while praising those who managed to pull off something "in vogue."  Now, I know Paris has been hailed for years as the fashion capital of the world, but honestly folks, I'm just not seeing it!  I thought about writing a detailed critique, but instead turned to awkwardly snapping pictures of strangers (as you can tell by some of their faces) to let the photos do the talking. 

Exhibit A

Exhibit B



Exhibit C, D, E, F, and G


Now, don't think the women are the only ones at fault either.  Check out this toga toting male just outside of our apartment building.  Yikes!


Don't get me wrong, I'm not against wearing things that are "different."  We see on a daily basis loads of people in their native dress whether it be an Indian sari, African tribal wear, orange-clad monks or even full length burqas.  It's the lingerie meets the 1980's that is driving me bonkers! 


It seems that the styles in Europe usually take about 2 years to carry-over to the United States so let me give you some of my very own "Do's" and "Don't's" when these fashions start rolling around state side.

Do
* Scarfs of all colors, prints and fabrics.  They can spice up a plain jeans and a t-shirt on a regular day.
* The French basically invented the white and navy stripped boat-neck shirts (you know the kind with little anchors embroidered on the sleeve?) and you see them everywhere.  They're not necessarily fabulous, but they are little-girl/grandma cutsie and look great with some of the vintage outfits that are making a comeback. 

Don't
* Black nylons under daisy dukes finished with nephite sandal/high heels.
* Colored leggings under long t-shirts that barely cover the hiney, accented by over-sized belts cinched high on the waist and leather boots.
* These shoes...seriously people, these are NOT cute!  Don't give in just because you see other people wearing them! Yuck!


And just because I want to prove my point...

* This outfit was on display in the window of a totally shi-shi boutique...what the?!

* One piece floral jumpsuit - yikes!

(*girl in the background)

* I almost wonder if he was joking

* Oops...I think she caught me trying to catch her bizarre getup

And thus ends my parade of Parisian fashion, but as we all know, I am no judge on fashion!

Comments

Mindy said…
Hahaha ... I think my favorite was how you just clumped exhibit c,d,e, and f all together as such. :) Or the guy with the shorty-shorts and green socks. :)
Anonymous said…
Oh no... I like the shoes!!! hahaha... I dont wear heals though, so I wouldnt ever wear them... funny post. Remember that fashion in UTAH is of its own world anyway... that is probably just normal for out there and rest of the world. Funny different perspectives of what looks good :)
Shay said…
Emily these pictures are hilarious! That is so fun you got to go to Paris. What a fun adventure for you and your husband.