A Quick Post

As I've mentioned probably a dozen times on here since Christmas, we have been so busy this year and life is not slowing down.  So much has happened since I last blogged.  A few of the big things were that we had an incredible Bush Family Reunion in California, we've been offered an opportunity to have equity in and help run a new startup business in St. George and we've told the guys at Kokopelli that by November (at the latest) we will be out of Mesquite!  In the mean time, things have been crazy with YW, the Daphenator, and trying to finish volume one of GG's history before her birthday in 3 weeks.  So until there is time to properly document all those big things, here are a few little gems I'd love to share.


First of all, big brother is in Amman, Jordan this summer for his law school internship interviewing Syrian refugees to see if they qualify for refugee status.  He stopped in Egypt for a few days on his way.  I admire him so much and am proud of the work he is doing and his goals to someday make positive change in the Middle East.  His sweet wife Ellen had to stay in DC for her work, but is currently with him in Israel for a week before going home to work for the summer.  They are amazing!


These are my Great Grandparents, Bertha Berry Bland and John Hawker Newlon in about 1916.  Though I never knew them, I have come to dearly love them as Grandma has told me story after story of her precious parents.  I think one of the most touching things she has said to me was, “What a golden childhood I had.  I had the great fortune of having two parents who really loved each other deeply.  There is no better gift you can give to a child than that.”

John Hawker and Bertha side by side after more than 50 years of marriage together

I like to think Burke and I have a love like that too.


Okay, let's talk about this hilarious picture for a minute.  This is my Great Great Grandmother Mary Elizabeth Berry Bland (holding the donkey's head), her husband Frank Greenwood Bland (riding the donkey) and some family members on the beach.  The description on the back says, "Democrats one and all" Atlantic City, New Jersey, 1892.  I just love the men's swimwear and that the women are in all black and stockings out in the sand!  Plus, Frank's wet hair pasted to his forehead and scowl make me think he was not too excited about this picture or riding a donkey for that matter!  Ha ha!


Here's a much better picture of Frank later in life.  Just wanted to have you see that he was actually quite handsome and the donkey picture doesn't do him justice.


Now this is my Great Great Great Grandfather, Thornton Joel Berry who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War.  I am slightly obsessed with his wife, Catherine Berry (previous posts on Catherine found HERE and HERE) and can't wait to finish writing Grandma's history so I can focus on researching more about Catherine's life.  Perhaps you can imagine how I felt when I obtained a box from my Mom from my Uncle Thayne with precious family pictures, including this beautiful image preserved in a golden leafed frame.  I bawled my eyes out when I realized this was Catherine's sweetheart that she nursed back to health after a battle and stayed fiercely devoted to for over 50 years.  Can you tell from these pictures that family history is my favorite new hobby?! 


Adam Mecham posted this picture on facebook of the Logan temple and I absolutely loved it!  It's so unique, but it shows off the beauty of Logan in spring/summer so perfectly.  How I love my home town in the summer!


This story is about Al Fox, a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who is boldly and faithfully telling her conversion story to anyone who will listen has really inspired me this week.  I love that she is using the internet and blogging in such a positive way to spread the gospel.  Here's a link to her blog which is equally full of good stuff - http://alfoxshead.blogspot.com/


A few days ago I was cleaning out our desk when I came across this piece of paper.  If you can't see it is titled, "Things that make me happy when I think about them" in Burke's handwriting.  I don't know when Burke did this, but it must have been in the fall of 2010 before we knew what we were having because he makes reference to our "baby boy" on the way.  I can't tell you how happy this little paper made me.  I love that man.


And how could I do a picture dump without one of the Phode?  What a kid!


Comments