Travel Logs Vs. Spiritual Logs

To my great annoyance I woke up this past Sunday to find I couldn't open my left eye. When I went to the bathroom and managed to pry it open, a bloodshot orb squinted back at me, ultra sensitive to the bulbs of light in the bathroom. This was frustrating not only because it meant I looked a bit like a swollen faced troll, but also because I had driven down to St. George for the weekend and it would detract from my precious time with Burke and the Ridings. :( Boo! Burke tried to disguise his amusement with my frazzled state when he showed up to get me for church by saying, "What the heck happened to you?!" Sensitive kid, isn't he? (Ha ha! Just playing Burkie! He was VERY good to me all day and I appreciated it!)

All of this to explain that as I sat in sacrament meeting with my eyes shut tight against the offensive and burning lights, I was struck by a comment the speaker said. He mused that, "Our travel logs show where we have been while spiritual logs show where we are." I've thought a lot about that comment over the past week. I thought how easily I could write down all of the places I have visited and explored in the past few years and the things I have learned from them. Could I do the same for spiritually uplifting moments?

As I pondered over this question, I was happy to discover, that yes, I could! Just as recently as Tuesday night where I had an opportunity to meet with my Bishop and get a recommend for this upcoming Sunday's dedication of the Draper Temple, I felt the spirit radiating through me as the Bishop and I discussed the temple and the holy ordinances that take place within its walls. I decided I wanted to keep track of these small trips on my "Spiritual Journey" not only mentally, but by physically recording them as well. I have been a very poor record keeper the past couple of years and I am sad to say that many of these simple, yet precious moments of growth have been lost to my bad memory due to a lack of dedicated recording. I want to keep this spiritual log sharp and up to date! Just in pondering over some recent meaningful conversations and experiences, I have felt uplifted by the recollection alone and I am motivated to strive to track my daily spiritual progress.

Along that same vein, I would love to share a quote that sweet Cassie Jo gave me that has been motivating me all week to model my life after its content. May we all work to track the experiences we are having in the present and be aware of where we are right now!
~~~~~
"Give me a Young Woman who loves home and family, who reads and ponders the scriptures daily, who has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me a young woman who faithfully attends her church meetings, who is a seminary graduate, who has earned her Young Womanhood Recognition Award and wears it with pride! Give me a young woman who is virtuous and who has maintained her personal purity, who will not settle for less than a temples marriage, and I will give you a young woman who will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity."

-Ezra Taft Benson (Ensign, Nov. 1986, 84.)

Comments