Keeper of the Records

My mother told me a story last week that resonated deeply with me.  She told of a friend of hers who's father was a Stake Patriarch (learn more about what a Patriarch is and does in an article found HERE) in Indiana who gave a blessing to a young man from Korea who had come to the United States for his college education.  In the blessing, the Patriarch felt prompted to tell the man that he would be vital to the family history and temple work of his ancestors and that he would subsequently become the Keeper of the Records for his family.  After the blessing was over, the young man was quite disturbed.  He said to the Patriarch that he just did not see how this blessing could be true.  He went on to explain that when he had joined the church and been baptized in Korea, his father had disowned him from his family.  He further explained that even if he was reconciled with his family, there were no records to be had for his family or their entire city as centuries before warring Asian countries had invaded his city and burned everything to the ground, even the meticulously kept family records saved for generations.  The Patriarch could see the young man's dilemma, but reminded him that all Patriarchal Blessings come from the Lord and all would be made clear at some future date.

Years passed and one day the Korean young man returned to Indiana and knocked on the Patriarch's door.  He reminded the Patriarch who he was and with tears in his eyes he said that all that had been foretold in his blessing had come to pass.  The promise from the young man's blessing had troubled him throughout the years until one day he received a call from an unknown lawyer who asked for his address to send him a collection of ancient records sent from his estranged father. When the young man asked how this could be, the lawyer reported that the man's father had decided to sale a portion of the family land which was in the process of being developed when a backhoe unearthed an ancient stone box.  Upon inspection, they found the box was full of thousands of ancestral names and documents which had been saved from the ravages of war and fire by their secret seclusion deep in the earth.  When the lawyer contacted the young man's father to see what should be done with the documents he said they must be sent to his son in America who was to be "Keeper of the Records" for their family, despite continued silence between father and son.  All had come full circle as the Lord had promised.

This story gives me chills as I think of the thousands of souls that have been and will be saved due to this young man's conversion.  I think of the great work that rested on his shoulders, the tremendous responsibility and expectations required from our Father in Heaven and the subsequent blessings that follow.

This past week while Burke was at a business conference in Spokane, my mother took Daphne and I to Idaho and Oregon to visit my Ellsworth Aunts and Uncles, to obtain records, photos and interviews for the purpose of completing the second volume of my Grandmother Mary Jane's life history that I started nearly two years ago.  I haven't been up north to see my Ellsworth relatives in probably ten years and it was wonderful to see them and be in their homes again.  We achieved the purpose of our visit and more so.

Uncle Thayne, who had been so hesitate to send his boxes of records in the spring, gladly received them back (which I had organized carefully into binders to prove that I could return them in better condition than I had received them!) and proceeded to give us 5 hours of fantastic interview material.  At the end of our interview, I explained to Thayne the impressions I had felt two years previously of the imperative nature of my involvement in our family history work and especially my intense interest (bordering on obsession) with my great-great-grandmother Catherine Capwell Berry.  With a secretive smile on his face, Thayne turned and opened a desk drawer about 16 inches deep and stacked to the brim with sheets of paper.  "These," Thayne told me, "are the records of probably 1,500-1,800 family names that have not been entered into Family Search yet."  He then reached into the drawer, rummaged around and withdrew a blue folder, turning to me to reveal a cover that read: Catherine Capwell Berry - September 25, 1825.  An entire folder of information about the woman I can't seem to shake from my mind!  I covered my hands with my mouth and burst into tears!  To my great astonishment, he handed me the file and said, "I think it's time I start asking for help in all this work.  I officially put you in charge of the Capwell line."

It was such a tremendous moment for me - I felt very much like I was being knighted!  I could feel the weight of responsibility for this family line being transferred to me and I knew that I had a great work ahead.

That night we continued on to Aunt Beth's and I couldn't get over the shock of what had happened.  But the surprises weren't over yet.  The next day as we were driving to Uncle John's to pick up more documents, Thayne called Mom and said he wanted us to come back through Boise on our way home.  Mom put me on speaker phone and Uncle Thayne said, "Emily, Suzanne and I talked it over last night and have come to a decision.  It's time to pass these artifacts on to the next generation and because of your great interest and love for this work, I am making you the Keeper of the Records."  I was completely floored.  Just months previous, Thayne had been loathe to let the family pictures and documents out of his sight and now he was handing them over completely to me!  I cannot tell you how honored and excited I was.

It was a successful visit up north to say the least.

I've known for a while now that besides raising my own little family, preserving and discovering family history records and then performing their temple work will be the mission of my life.  It is a bit daunting, thinking of all that lies ahead, but I cannot think of a better hobby or line of work that is more important.  I am so pleased that the promptings of two years ago has lead me here to this "launching pad" of sorts.  I know I have a lot to learn, but I am anxious to plug ahead and obtain the skills necessary to make progress.

Now here is where you come in.  If you don't have a clue about your ancestors, I encourage you to learn all you can!  If you know a little, I encourage you to learn more.  If you are LDS and think that Aunt Gertrude has done all of your family history work I want to tell you that is absolutely false!  Even if you can connect your direct line from you to Adam and Eve, there is still unfathomable work to be done by moving to parallel lines (aunts/uncles/cousins).  If any of you have felt stirrings as I have or if reading this has made you curious about your ancestors, I plead with you to get started now, today.

Shoot me a message if you want to get started, but just aren't sure how.  I'd be happy to share the little I have learned to get you rolling as well.

Comments