Girls Vs. Boy


Today we had our ultrasound to check in and make sure Bun #2 was cooking along nicely.  Of course, we were beyond excited to find out baby's gender and send the news along to our family.  Some of Burke's family members don't find out what they are having until baby is delivered, but I could never be that patient!

I was extra anxious for this ultrasound because I have been feeling loads of movement from baby for weeks now and I am also about twice the size I was at this same point in my pregnancy with Daphne.  I have sort of been hoping that the size would be explained by TWO babies being grown and not just one, but the ultrasound tech vetoed that idea almost instantly. :)  

As always, it was miraculous and thrilling to watch our sweet infant moving around inside my body in real time and this little one was busy busy busy swimming and flipping around inside.  The tech kept saying, "Hold still you little stinker!"  She couldn't get a good look of the gender and tried several times in between all of the other assessments for healthy spinal cords, lungs, kidneys, etc. (all looking great, for which we are most grateful!), until finally nothing was left but to prod and jiggle my belly until we finally got a peak of a beautiful baby girl!  

Burke was in shock for about 15 minutes and I couldn't stop grinning and laughing.  I had tried really hard not to guess the gender on this pregnancy as I had been convinced Daphne was a boy and been a little shocked myself at her ultrasound.  However, with this pregnancy being SO opposite from Daphne's, we both felt that it would make sense for this baby to be a boy.  Nope!  I will no longer believe any of the Old Wives Tales about gender guessing as I've now experienced two completely opposite pregnancies and they're both girls!  

Although I was delighted immediately, Burke took a second to wrap his head around the news.  He has always felt that he would have 4 kids with the ideal girl-boy-girl-boy pattern and I think that lifelong hope/assumption was hard to let go of for a moment.  There are a lot of positives to having this baby be a girl: we don't have to repaint Daphne's pink room or change the decor, we already have all the clothes and gear for a little girl, I don't have to learn how to do a pee-pee teepee (truthfully, I'm scared to death of those things! haha), Daphne will have a little sister to be her best friend!  Of course we would have been happy with a boy too, but it will be so fun to have two little sisters to raise close together.  I hope they will get along!

By the time we got out of the appointment we were past dinner-time and my babies (read Daphne and Burke) were cranky and ready to get home for the night.  However, I wanted to send the good news out, so we ran to the store for balloons, called up our sweet neighbor Lacie and snapped a few pictures in our backyard with the wind blowing like crazy and the creative juices struggling. :)  I'm glad we have a couple of images to get the message across!

Comments

Lyndi said…
CONGRATS, Look at you, I think you're super creative-those pictures are darling! So cute!
I loved the whole post! Glad I'm not the only one who thought with pregnancy #2 the only possible way to explain why I was SOOO much FATTER would be two kids--and I was wrong too. But you're rock'n a great shirt because I don't think you looked pregnant at all! That's awesome! Oh and not to be too discouraging but I'm still fat, a lady at church asked if I was expecting AGAIN-NOPE, that was a downer for sure! Just still fat but worth it, these kiddos are totally worth it!
They'll be best friends! We're so excited for you! Blake was the same way after we found out Eden was a girl haha! Lots of fun ahead. Glad to hear she's healthy and doing well.
Congrats to your sweet family! Another girl will be so much fun and yes, convenient. yay!