September 2014 Happenings

A few September happenings.


1) Spent Labor Day in Parowan, but missed the parade this year and went on just one quick ride (l-a-m-e) with Daphne at the fair because she was so sick.  That was the best smile we got out of our little sickie all day.  Poor thing.


2) The day before Kristen's wedding, we drove up to Salt Lake and were lucky enough to join the Kirby family at the Ogden Temple Open House.  They were so nice to share their tickets with us and Daphne was delighted as usual to be with her cousins, clinging to Gideon and Amira's hands every chance she could.  The temple was beautiful inside, but the experience was different than I had expected.  I had thought we would have time to sit and ponder each room, but there were so many people there that we were ushered in one continuous line from one room to the next.  Just as we reached the Celestial room, Daphne fell asleep on Burke's shoulder and missed the best part!  Bummer.

Loved these little matching muffins.

3) My little sister Tasha got home from her mission in Florida in August and we got to host Mama, GG and Tash briefly over labor day weekend.  I flaked on the pictures, but we always love having family stay!


4) One night I was teaching Burke how to maneuver familysearch when he came across an ancestor named Chub!  He was dying as that is one of his Dad's famous nicknames (Chubbs or Chubby Twin) and he immediately had to take a picture and text it out to his family.



5) More garden harvesting!  Can you tell we were busy for a few weeks and didn't harvest/weed?  Those zucchini are ridiculous!


6) Awesome text image I got from Burke one day at work as he tested out Vickie's reading glasses to see if they would help his burning eyes.  I love that silly mug.


7) Burke hit his one year mark at Western Ag Credit in August and shortly after he was told that he had earned full loan officer status and as of October 1 is no longer considered a trainee.  This is a big deal as he can now approve loans on his own and he now qualifies for the incentive bonuses of an officer.  He was also switched to salary pay and the new title came with a wonderful raise.  We were not expecting for Burke to be promoted like this for a while, so it came as such a pleasant surprise, especially as we approach the projected costs of a new baby!  I am so proud of Burke's hard work and felt grateful all over again at the miracles that led us to work for this wonderful company.  Western Ag has been SO good to us!  When Burke called shortly before lunch to say all the paperwork had been signed, I decided we should do something to show him how much we appreciate all his hard work on behalf of our family.  Daphne and I ran around trying to get everything ready for a surprise picnic for lunch.  Burke was truly surprised when he got home, Daphne was dancing around with excitement and I was happy to extend a small gesture to express our pride and gratitude for our awesome Daddy.


8) Daphne out enjoying her pool one last time before the cold weather set in.


9) Burke took me on one last date before this baby comes.  We went to the first movie we've been to in theaters since we took Daphne to "Frozen" on New Years!  Just last year we read "The Giver" together and were so excited when we looked at the movie listings and saw that there was a new movie out based on the book.  We were SO impressed with the film and highly recommend it!  In fact, by utilizing RedBox over the past several months, we have seen a few of the best movies I have seen in years.  I feel I can guilt-free recommend "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", "Saving Mr. Banks" and "The Book Thief" as three cinematically beautiful, thought-provoking and moving films.  In fact, I also read "The Book Thief" last year and it is beyond a doubt one of the most meaningful books I have read in years (probably in my Top 5 favorites of all time!).

10) My OB Doc office has a masseuse on staff and they offer one free massage to all pregnant patients.  I had been holding off for as long as I could and finally went in at about 37 weeks preggo.  It was absolutely amazing to lay on my belly (the massage bed has a giant dip for the preggo belly to rest in) and work out pains I didn't even know I had been dealing with.

11) A couple of weeks ago, Burke was in charge of the Ward Campout and annual wood haul service project for our ward.  He decided to host it at Co-Op.  I wanted to go really bad, but didn't think it would be a good idea for my 9.5 month belly to be bouncing along the mountain trails 2 weeks before my due date.  Instead, Cassie and the kids came to play with us in Cedar and that night we helped Chev and Nellie move into their new house in Parowan.

Applesauce - a labor of love!

12) On Tuesday evening last week, Burke, Daphne and I picked about 1/2 of our apples and packed them away in coolers to turn into applesauce.  We joined most of the Adams family in Parowan on Saturday morning at 9 AM, everyone bringing big boxes of apples to share and got to work.  For nearly 8 hours we worked on turning the apples into applesauce and canning them.  In the end, we divided 60 bottles between 4 families, which didn't seem like very much for all our hard work!  However, it was such a fun day talking together as we worked and the cousins ran around together.  That evening I joined the ladies at the General Women's Broadcast for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and went to dinner at the cafe afterwards.  Such a great day in part of a grand month!

Comments