Newly Wed Summer

Burke and I are really enjoying being married...a lot! Being apart during the majority of our courtship and all of our engagement was torturous to say the least, but I think it helped us to be constantly grateful for every day that we have to spend together. Here are a few skills I have acquired since we were joined in matrimony nearly 2 months ago.
  1. How to cook. Now this may not seem like a big deal to you, but I was totally clueless as to how to boil rice or even brown meat! My mother, though she never favored the kitchen, liked it even less with her children underfoot, so I never learned! (*Note: Mother, I do not blame you for this, but take full responsibility in not expressing a desire to learn). Burke on the other hand is a fabulous cook and drools when we pass the kitchen appliance section while grocery shopping. I got him a George Foreman Grill for his birthday and a blender...he was ecstatic. Nothing gourmet yet, but I am getting more confident!
  2. How to drive Rita (our 1996 Honda Accord - teal). These were the conditions that the car was in when we first were married, but my amazing husband has managed to fix all but the window and inside handle (yeah Burke!). PROCESS OF RUNNING RITA: In order to get into Rita on the driver’s side one must yank the handle in a pattern of three swift strong pulls. If the door does not open the pattern must be repeated with even more vigor until the latch releases. Inside it has come to our attention that She gets overheated very quickly so if one is unfortunate enough to get stuck at a red light one must put the gear into park and rev the engine considerably in order for the needle to descend from the red warning H and the threat of spontaneous combustion. Then, once parked and ready to unload, the window must be rolled down and the pulling pattern must be administered from an awkward angle as the driver’s door will not open from the inside handle. Once the tugs have released the latch the window must be rolled up again, but going down is much easier than coming back up and it stubbornly must be toggled back and forth until you hit the sweet spot and the window rolls into place. Rather than be frustrated, I just have to laugh the majority of the time because after Rita every car will be a step up. (*Note: Burke, I love our car and am simply pointing out the honest humors of driving her!)
  3. How to job search. After setting up our home I quickly got to work searching for a job, but just like January, the pickings were sadly even more slim than before. I applied for everything from clothing stores to restaurants, receptionist positions to bank tellers. For the last 2 months my life has consisted of 3 to 4 hours a day of job searching and it has been incredibly discouraging. BUT after much prayer, temple attendance and diligent searching I finally secured a job (just barely on Monday!!!) for a Dixie Dermatology where I will be working as a front desk office clerk as well as training as a technician in the back. Someday in the not too distant future I will be able to help remove stitches and pass scalpels during skin cancer removal surgeries. I feel incredibly blessed to have landed this job because I will be able to work full time as well as go to school in the evenings at Dixie so I can apply for the secondary education program this spring. It's amazing how if we rely on the Lord he prepares a path even better than one we had imagined up for ourselves.
There are so many other areas in which I am stretching and growing, but this update is turning a little lengthy so I had best wrap this entry up. Bottom line: we are HAPPY! Being married to my Alan Burke is better than I had even dreamed and I am so lucky to call him husband! For those of you who voted for a June wedding all I can say is YOU WERE RIGHT! A newly wed summer is the best kind of summer.


Clockwise: 1 -Burke eating my first meal cooked all by myself (with 3 phone calls to Cassie) called Salmon Neugurg. 2- Rita in all her glory. 3 - Our covered parking and front door. 4 - Burke and I after our first session at the St. George temple.

Posted by Picasa

Comments