Reverse Discrimination?

I just got out of class and am patiently waiting (procrastinating homework) for Burke to finish up so we can drive home together, so I thought I would relate some feelings while I am waiting. At the end of class today we got in groups to talk about possible scenarios where people in southern Utah might feel like the minority. Rather than focusing on the Hispanic minority, the non-native Utahans or even those FOR gun control, the age-old scenario of a non member vs. Mormon culture was thrashed to death YET again. And I simply couldn't take it anymore. Raising my hand I suggested, "What about the majority who feel discriminated against by the minority? Don't you think they deserve to have their voice heard?"

This brought up a lengthy and heated debated which I won't detail, but I just couldn't take the injustice any longer! It seems that in almost every class there are comments about the "close minded Mormon culture," the "ignorant majority," and even the "blind conservatives." Why must I constantly be on the defense for my "conservative" beliefs when 60% of the students in the class belong to the same religion that I do? Why is it that snide remarks can be made about things that I hold sacred and there is no taboo against it as long as we're talking about Mormon culture? You better believe if there is one politically incorrect word said about someone who is homosexual or a student accidentally refers to an Asian American as "oriental" there will be an uproar correcting the narrow minded for their error. They will rip you to shreds defending that minority, their rights to their beliefs and to a discriminatory FREE zone. So who defends the majority? When we talk about feminism and the roles of women and I submit that a loving mother is the most essential and important role a woman can play, do you think I am respected for that belief or do you think my experience has been that my comment is callously tossed aside, overlooked or twisted to fit the progressive, modern woman?

I get tired of being polite sometimes. I just wish that tolerance was extended to all, not just the most liberal and insistent parties who demand it.

Comments

Katie said…
I totally agree! I used to feel like that a lot a few years ago. I took this one class about multi-culturalism/minorities in the classroom. Oh man, we will have to discuss sometime! Hang in there dear!