So Help Me!

Today I went to Practicum at Desert Hills Middle School expecting to sit back and observe Mrs. Lee work her magic like she does every Tuesday.  I'm learning so much from observing her because she is a truly wonderful teacher!  However, it turns out Mrs. Lee was ill yesterday and about halfway through the first period she whispered to me that she wasn't sure she could make it through the day.  Indeed, a few minutes into her second period she looked sheet white and her usual enthusiasm was greatly depleted.  With half an hour left of class, she headed for home, leaving me in charge of her classes for the rest of the day.

Please keep in mind a couple of very important things:
1) I have NEVER taught a full day of class before.
2) In fact...last Tuesday was my first time EVER teaching in a public school
3) Last Tuesday was also "B" Day and fantastic.
4) This was "A" Day and what Mrs. Lee calls her "looooong day"

Second period were gems and I started third period with enthusiasm and confidence.  They were equally great and I thought to myself, "I love teaching! Student teaching is going to be a piece of cake!"

Then came 4th period.  How did the school counselors not realize they put three girls and TWENTY SEVEN boys in one classroom!  Not to mention 4 boys below proficiency level and 2 with ADHD!  AHHHH!!!  IT.WAS.A.NIGHTMARE.  I don't know if I want to teach anymore.  I will let you know how I feel tomorrow.

Comments

Emily Louise said…
Emily! That's a major fear of mine and I am so impresses that you survived. No one said you has to get it totally right the first time. I'm amazed you even wanted or dared try. I'd love to catch up and swap stories sometime soon. Much love. It will get better. :)
Mindy said…
I felt this way when teaching seminary because of one boy ... His name will say it all: Tobias. I still kinda cringe when I think about it ... And that is even when I know Jesus said love everyone! GOOD LUCK TODAY! :)
Liv Blair said…
Ok... little bit of deja vu! My practicum teacher went home sick yesterday and left me in charge TOO?! What the heck?! I had to teach math...lesson 1 on telling time. HAHA!
Katie said…
Oh dear Em, I fear you have many of those unexpected moments ahead! I have quite a few students with accomadations. They are awesome though and you will come to love it!
Michelle said…
I think I know how you felt! I am substituting this year because I only have tues/thurs classes (sweet!). Well, I subbed at the middle school on Monday and for the most part, every class was just great, except for 6th period...Awful! I tried all the strategies I knew, but they were just out-of-control. I kept looking at the clock, thinking, please just end!!

You are awesome though, and I'm sure you are a fantastic teacher. Just keep swimming! :)
I sympathize. I still have these days ALL the time. It REALLY makes you contemplate your career choice. Good thing there are better ones...sometimes.