Surprise!


I am terrible at keeping surprises a secret, but this time I was determined.  Starting back in May, I hacked into Burke's facebook and sent a message to dozens of his friends from high school, college, work and his old singles wards to invite them to a surprise party to celebrate Burke's 30th birthday.  I was thrilled with how many responses I got and how many people wanted to show their love and friendship to Burke.  

Burke with his two best friends from high school, Wes Tobler and Jason White.

I worked on planning it a little each day and I was so proud of myself for not letting any clues drop.  However, the week before the planned party I accidentally left my reminder email to Burke's friends up on the computer and I walked in the room right as he was looking at the list of people I had sent it to.  Luckily he hadn't seen the actual message, but he knew something was up.  Then a few days later a friend replied to Burke's facebook rather than mine that he wouldn't be able to make it.  Burke called from the bedroom, "Looks like Jed Townsend can't make it to my surprise party!"  AH!  He still didn't know the when or where, but I was so frustrated that all my covert planning had been for naught!

Collage of pictures from 30 wonderful years of life!

Little soda favors for the guests - all Kellie's ideas!

I forged ahead with cute ideas from my sweet sister-in-law Kellie and I had tons of help making them happen from Catherine, Danelle and Cassie.  Finally, on Saturday, July 9th (Burke's actual birthday is the 14th), I pretended that we were going to meet our friends the Gonzalezes for dinner at The Pizza Factory, but I had actually reserved the upper room where about 30 of our friends and family were waiting.  And guess what?  He was genuinely surprised!  Yeah!  


It was so much fun to have so many people we love in one place.  Even though we didn't have a chance to really catch up with most of them, it was still nice to share a meal together and to let Burke know how many people care about him.


Our waitress was very sweet and had the cooks make Burke a complimentary "30" pizza.  Daphne was an angel, the food was great, the room was big enough for everyone and we were in a room with AC rather than out in the scorching 103 degree heat having a bbq like I had originally planned.  So glad I decided against that idea!  Most importantly Burke was happy, so I am thrilled to say his "surprise" was a success!  Happy Birthday to my main man who is getting terribly terribly old. :)


Comments

Fob said…
OH EM!!! You did such a super fabulous job on that party! I LOVED seeing you and Burke and those huge smiles on both of your faces! Everything looks so awesome. I have been so excited to see your pics :) Thank you so much for sharing.