5 Year Anniversary

Originally Burke and I had toyed with the idea of going on a weekend trip to San Diego to celebrate our 5th Anniversary.  Then hard cold reality hit when we had to buy a lawn mower, a weed eater, pay an installment on baby #2 as well as make a payment on Burke's tooth implant.  However, the final kick in the pants was a $700 dollar repair to the car when we put in new struts.  Ouch.  Our anniversary plans had to shift to something more local in light of all the grown-up stuff we were paying for.

Being about 6 months preggo, I didn't want to head south into the heat and I also didn't want to take a super long car drive.  We finally stumbled across an ad for Yardly's Inn and Spa in Manti, Utah.  Not exactly the first place you would think of for a getaway, but we were stoked.  The Manti Temple is our favorite temple and we hadn't been there since our first year of marriage.  We decided to head up the night of Daphne's birthday and day before our anniversary and splurged with the spa package so we could get a couples massage.

Dorky selfie attempt before our massage

It was such a great little escape to just focus on us and our marriage.  It was so nice to talk uninterrupted, to go out to eat and review our marriage over the last 5 years.  It was amazing to look at our 5 year goals when we first got married and to see how many of them we had accomplished and then to set new goals for the next 1, 3 and 5 years.  The massage was also to die for and quite the hilarious experience for Burke who had never had one before and didn't quite know what to do when she did his glutes!  Haha!

Burke posing in the solarium as we waited for the masseuse  

The Yardly Inn is an old pioneer home converted into a bed and breakfast.  We stayed in the "Lavender and Lace Suite" and it looked just like it sounded - every inch covered in doilies, lace and fake flowers.  Hilarious and yet so much fun.  They outfitted us in robes and slippers for our massage and were super attentive with a fancy breakfast the next morning with the other guests, but they also gave us plenty of space as well.  We would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone who may find themselves off the beaten path in Manti, Utah.

On our actual anniversary on Friday, June 6, we were able to do a wonderful session in the Manti Temple as well as some sealings.  I felt strongly that beyond our capacity to understand, our Heavenly Father wants to bless us and is anxiously waiting to do so.  I feel we have been blessed in our marriage and lives beyond anything I ever anticipated and it humbled me to think how little I deserve it, but how grateful I am to be the recipient of his love and goodness towards us.  As I reflected on these things in the temple, I resolved to do better, to be better, to attempt to feel more worthy of all we've been given.


Following the session and lunch, Burke and I drove through Aurora (a completely obscure, but beautiful part of the state that I have never seen before) and met up with my Dad in Fillmore to golf at that course right off the freeway that Burke talks about stopping at EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. we pass it.  As I mentioned before, Dad used the opportunity to bring down the couch from Grandpa as a great excuse to golf the course with Burke while I drove the cart.  It was so fun to be with them, especially watching them in an atmosphere that they both love so much.  The day ended with picking up Daphne from Parowan where my in-laws had watched her overnight and visiting a little with Dad back at our home while making birthday party preparations for Daphne.

It was such a great anniversary.  I'm more in love with this wonderful husband of mine than ever before.  I am a one lucky gal.


Daphne shot this picture of us all just relaxing and cuddling in bed after church the Sunday after our anniversary and her birthday.  I look exhausted, but I love how this captures a totally normal and happy moment.

Comments