Baby #2 Update

This is a 3D picture of Baby #2 from our 20 week appointment when we found out her gender.  You can make out most of her facial features, although you can tell by her ear that she still has a ways to go in her development.  Compare that to the 30 week pictures below.  Incredible!


Yesterday I hit 30 weeks along in my pregnancy.  Can I get some positive affirmations here folks?!  Dr. Sanders is awesome and offers a free 30 week ultrasound for all his patients just to double check on baby and make sure she hasn't developed any concerning problems since the 20 week gender ultrasound.  He said everything is looking fantastic and then took some darling 3D pictures of her.  Isn't technology amazing?!


Her chin, lips and cheeks look just like Daphne, but that nose is all Ellsworth!  However, Dr. Sanders also said she had her nose pressed up against my belly and the umbilical cord kept getting in the way of a completely clear picture of her face, so it may not be as prominent as it looks here.  Isn't it remarkable how much more developed she is in just 10 weeks?  Dr. Sanders even showed us during the ultrasound where you could see a thick patch of hair growing on the back of her head.  We cannot wait to hold this little bundle!


Over the past few months Daphne has been very aware that baby sis is on the way.  We talk about her daily and she generally likes to have a conversation with her through my belly button at some point in the day.


Daphne also frequently refers to the baby growing in her tummy as well.  She is such a little parrot and has taken the times that I've said things like, "I'm sorry Daffy, I can't do that, Mama is not feeling very well because baby sis is wearing me out." and then used it to her advantage saying things like, "I can't eat my dinner Mama, my baby is just making me soooo tired."  Nice.  She also likes to tell me that her baby is growing bigger while holding up her shirt for me to assess her tiny little tummy.  It's pretty cute.


This pregnancy continues to go so much better than Daphne's did.  I haven't been sick at all since April and have felt so blessed to feel strong and healthy.  I do hit a brick wall around 1 or 2 o'clock every afternoon and generally end up taking a nap while Daphne reads book on the bed next to me or watches an episode (or two....or three!  They're only 12 minutes, but I still always feel way guilty) of Curious George or Arthur on the PBS Kids App.  I've been way more active in this pregnancy since I am not in the midst of student teaching 10 hours a day and I attribute a lot of my mobility and energy to simply being more mobile.  I've noticed my back hurts way less if I get a walk in every day and although my belly is much bigger, I feel much better this time around.

One of the exciting results of being more active is that today Dr. Sanders told us our baby is measuring small (in the 31 percentile) which is great news because that hugely increases my chances of being able to have a VBAC.  We know that with Daphne she was a big baby with a head that was in the 96th percentile which made my C-Section after 22 hours of labor a necessity because her noggin simply wouldn't fit.  (Sorry if this is TMI.)  Dr. Sanders said he wants to take one more ultrasound at 37 weeks and if her head and the rest of her body are still measuring small then he is okay with me trying to deliver VBAC instead of scheduling another C-Section.  

Nellie recently asked me if I wanted a VBAC because I was trying to prove something.  I considered the question and realized that no, if Cesarean is the way my babies need to come into the world, I am okay with that.  My main reason for wanting a VBAC is so my recovery time will be shorter and less painful.  With Daphne, I felt like I could feel my incision constantly for about 6 months and I couldn't exercise without pain throughout my abdomen for about a year.  I also had major pain in my intestines as a byproduct from the surgery and it was horrible to not be able to lift anything above 10 pounds for those first few months.  I just don't know how I could possibly take care of Daphne and this new little lady the way I want to if I have an incision making it impossible for me to lift them like I need to.  So, if you have room for us in your prayers, please pray for us that this little girl will stay nice and petite and that we will be able to get her here without having to slice into my abdomen.  :)


As we start to make some of the final preparations, this baby is becoming more of a reality with each passing day and I am getting so excited to add her own unique spirit and personality to our family dynamic.  We love her so much already and have so much fun imagining how things will change when she gets here.  All for the better, I am certain.

79 days and counting!

Comments