Like a Boat on the Water

The ladies in my Relief Society do a ward book club and I've read a couple of great works the past few months with them.  Currently we are reading "Anna Karenina" and sitting at 1,329 pages, it is by far the longest novel I have ever read.  Though the main subject matter (adultery) is at times depressing, the juxtaposition of the two relationships (Anna and Vronsky vs. Levin and Kitty), one founded in lust and one founded in love have been powerful examples of how "love" can either build or destroy.  

I particularly enjoyed the description of Levin and Kitty's early marriage and had such fun reading aloud to Burke the passages I found especially poignant.  Here is a little image I put together of one of my favorite metaphors in the book.  Burke and I had a fun conversation, reflecting on our early marriage and the little bumps we had to overcome until it became smooth sailing.  Hope you enjoy the quote it as much as we did!

Image was found on http://www.zastavki.com/ 

Comments

Whitney said…
Ooh! Anna Karenina is one of my favorite books. I first read it in AP Euro, when Mr. Markworth told us we had to experience European literature of our choice. It's such a fascinating story! And, I'm so jealous you are in a book club, I've always wanted to be in a book club!