June 2015...Kicked My Trash!


The month of June started out lovely.  We celebrated Brett's 22nd birthday on June 4th with a dinner in Parowan.  Daphne's 4th birthday was a hit on the 5th and 6th (actual birthday and then party). Yet, due to all our crazy unforseen medical expenses in April and May, Burke and I canceled plans for an anniversary getaway (also on the 6th) and decided to play it simple this year with Daphne's birthday party and...the adult session of stake conference!  Ha!  We're so romantic.  We'll make up for it next year. :)


It turned out to be a good thing that we didn't go anywhere, because that night Burke began feeling pretty under the weather.  The Kirby family came down South starting on Monday, the 8th and we joined them that night for dinner at the Ridings followed by a LATE showing of "Beauty and the Beast" at Tuacahn in St. George.  Because the theater is outdoors and wicked hot, the shows in the summer don't start until 8:45, which is super late for our family because we try to get the girls to bed between 7-8 o'clock every night.  I figured it was a special occasion, but as the show dragged on and on (cute, but not their best show), it was obvious that Daphne was exhausted, pretty afraid of the Beast, Gaston, the wolves, etc...and not enjoying it as much as I thought she would be.  As the "Kill the Beast" song started at 11:30, she suddenly got something in her eye and started screaming and crying in the middle of the show!  Burke and I used the opportunity to beat the traffic, get back to the Ridings to pick up sleeping Darcie babe and drive the 45 minutes back home.  As we drove, Burke was pretty ticked because he felt like crap, Daphne was beyond exhausted and having a meltdown, and he hadn't wanted to go to the show in the first place!  Not one of our finer moments.

Mike Miller and Burke - they sold together in Iowa over 10 years ago!

For the next couple of days, Burke, Daphne and Darcie battled sickness and I tried to keep everyone's spirits up.  On the 11th, Mike Miller, an old friend of Burke's from Iowa stopped in for a brief visit, we babysat the Mike/LeeAnn Adams girls and had a water party and that night the Kirbys spent the night after 2 horrible days being drenched on the mountain.  Burke, still feeling pretty crappy, was a good sport and took the day off work on Friday the 12th and took us up to Co-Op with the Kirbys to try to redeem ourselves.  It was a great day, compete with an introduction to "Wolf'em" sticks (sooo good!), but I could tell my little family was struggling with energy and by the time we headed home late again, I was feeling pretty nasty myself.

Obligatory Photos on "Bum Rock" at Co-Op.  Kids (and adults) think that rock is the funniest thing since whoopee cushions.

A gorgeous double rainbow on our way down from the mountain, helped ease the yuckies a little.  These pictures don't do it justice.

Thus began SIXTEEN straight days of sickness (22 days if you count all the days before where Burke and the girls were sick). Some days were definitely better than others, but it was a beast, especially because my little family alternated turns of feeling crappy themselves.  And you know what that means of course?  I never rested because I had to take care of everyone else, continually prolonging the severity and length of my own illness.  It was a bit of a nightmare.  I am not one to ask people for help and this was the first time since becoming a wife and mother that I felt desperately in need of someone to come and bail me out.  However, I didn't feel like I could call anyone up and say, "Hi, my kids are sick.  Can you please come take care of them so I can get some rest and finally feel better?"

During the time I still had to put on my second Relief Society activity (which was actually my best day during this time...huge blessing!), we celebrated Father's Day (which I spent in bed while Burke and Daphne went to Parowan for a family dinner) and Burke went on the Cow Herd which was (not even being a wee bit dramatic) probably one of the worst days of my life!  I finally went to the doctor and got on an antibiotic which allowed us to finish up the month on a positive vein with a trip up to SLC for a Western Ag company party, lunch with Krissy and Brady and a trip to the Draper temple while they watched our kiddos.


I was not sad at all to see that hard month end!

A few random things pictured below.

A bouquet Daphne and I arranged from the lilacs in our yard

Father's Day Rootbeer

The Cow Herd

With my sweet Littles in our hotel suite the night of the Western Ag Party in SLC.  Thanks WAC!  Daphne and I played hide and go seek probably 15 times and laughed our heads off!  Such a good night as a family.

Darcie went swimming for the first time - and froze!  This lasted all of 5 minutes.






Comments