6 Months Strong

A couple of days ago when one of my juniors very tactfully said, "Hey, Mrs. Adams, I don't mean for this to sound wrong, but you are getting BIG!"  Why yes, yes I am. Thank you for pointing that out dear boy.  Funny how I would expect a comment like that from an elementary school student, but assume my high schoolers know better.  Luckily, I don't get offended by stuff like that!

On Tuesday I had my 6 month (24 weeks) check-up.  As always it was a relief to hear little one's heart swooshing away and hear my doc's thoughts.  He was a little concerned that I have only gained 7.5 pounds, but assured me that the weight gain will probably start adding up in the coming weeks.  I have felt SO huge the past few weeks (my students aren't the only ones making comments about how large I'm getting) that I was shocked to learn I had only gained a pound since last month.  Definitely not complaining as long as it doesn't hurt baby. :)

It also turns out that my placenta is on top (what exactly is the term doctor bro-in-laws?), which explains why it took me a little longer to feel her moving since her pokes have to make it through the mattress-like placenta to my stomach and she wasn't strong enough to hit that hard at first.  At night as soon as I feel her I grab Burke's hand and put it on the spot, but she teases and will wait until the second he takes his hand off to kick again!  Silly little lady!



Last night we had a little scare.  I woke up late at night with an awful cramping in my uterus.  It hurt so bad and definitely wasn't the familiar discomfort of stretching.  Instantly I began to think the worst, wondering if this was a precursor to a miscarriage and I began to weep.  Yes, it would have been so hard to lose this baby in the first trimester, but I feel like ever since we had our ultrasound and saw her perfect little form, followed by feeling her first movement in my belly, my love for her has just doubled and tripled.  She is already my little sweetheart and it makes me sick to think about how life would be without her.  I woke up Burke with my whimpers and he was instantly alert and attentive, asking if this or that helped.  I asked him if he would give me a blessing and he jumped out of bed, changed into a white shirt, black slacks and a tie and administered a healing blessing with words of comfort and reassurance that our sweet baby would be alright and that she is meant to be part of our family.  I think I fell back asleep simultaneously with the "amen."  I slept soundly and when I woke the pain was completely gone.  I am so grateful for a husband who holds the Priesthood and can exercise it on my behalf.  I am so grateful that he has been so supportive and encouraging through every step of this thrilling experience of approaching parenthood.  So glad my little lady is safely snuggled inside me.

Comments

Em you are adorable! Don't take that belly for granted enjoy it while it lasts...although it feels like you will be preggo forever...they grow up too fast! I felt like a whale when it was hard to roll over in bed :)
Anonymous said…
This made me tear up :) Can't wait to meet her :)