Week 6

6 weeks down and 8 to go.  I feel like I've been at Pine View forever already.  It was another successful week and I'm enjoying my students even more as I get to know about their lives, interests and capabilities.  They take me seriously for the most part now and a new seating chart has done wonders for my management.  The few talkers that I used to deal with have all but disappeared and I didn't come home venting once this week!  I think the kids can tell that I not only care about them passing my class, but I care about their long term success as well.  They seem to be responding positively to the good vibes I'm trying to send their way.

There are still struggles.  Two students who waltz in half an hour late each day, a pregnant girl who thinks we should be "baby buddies" now, a few Latino students who insist, "It's because I'm brown, isn't it?" any time I ask them to do anything, juggling limited lab space with dozens of other teachers, and trying to fit everything I'm supposed to teach them into the next 2 weeks before the quarter ends.  However, I'm up for the challenge and I already feel I have taken a few situations in stride that would have left me stuttering a few weeks ago.  Progress.

Here are two funny moments just from today that I thought you may enjoy.

1) A student walked in late to class.  I gave him the "evil eye" as I continued instruction.  He just grinned and said saucily, "Morning good lookin!" with a wink.  I looked down at my huge belly and said, "Nice try, Slick."  The rest of the class got a good laugh.

2) We were in the computer lab with 10 minutes left of class when one of my shyest students came up and whispered, "Mrs. Adams, can I go to the bathroom?"  I nodded and he headed out the door.  Five seconds later he returned with a concerned look on his face.  "Um...Mrs. Adams, should I log off and take my stuff with me?"  I looked at the clock.  "No, there are still 10 minutes left of class."  And then he crossed all boundaries by replying, "Yeah, but I have to go number 2 and it might take a while."  AHHHHHHH!!!  You did not just tell me about your potty plans.  Super hilarious, while super gross.  It took all my self control to not bust up laughing as I agreed to let him "log out."  :)  

Hope you're as entertained as I was.

Comments

Love the updates on your student teaching experiences! I only wonder what our teachers thought of us...Haha maybe I don't want to know ;)
Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness! Lol!!!