Daph Stats:1-2 Weeks

This week we had a fabulous visit (although too brief) from Chelsea and Dixon, Gabe and Ellen.  Since we were unable to make it to the Bush Family Reunion, they sacrificed a backpacking trip and came to see us.  I was most appreciative and loved visiting with my awesome (and hilarious) siblings.

While they were here, Chels showed me the beautiful baby book she made for Desmond via blurb.com.  I was impressed, not only with all the terrific pictures, but the details of his growth each month.  It inspired me to want to document some of Daphnie's firsts, as well as her growth statistics, and what better place to keep track than my journal/blog?  So, anytime you see a post entitled "Daph Stats" it is going to be a letter to my little lady to insert into her baby book at the end of her first year.  Here goes!

***
 Dear Daphne,

When we got you out of the NICU and home for the first time you were 5 days old and had dropped in weight from 8 lbs 3 oz. to 7 lbs, 11 oz.  I wasn't one bit worried though, because you ate like a pro!  At your first visit to the pediatrician you were 9 days old and were almost back up to birth weight at 8 lbs 2 oz.  You were in the 80th percentile in weight, 75th in height and 85th in head size, but don't worry, your head looks perfect to me.  At your two week checkup on Wednesday, June 22, you had gained 10 ounces in 1 week!  Daddy says you're getting straight cream.  Your chubby cheeks are getting rounder and your lil' fat roles are so deliciously squeezable!  You now measure 21 inches (76th percentile) and weigh 8 lbs 13 oz (60th percentile).  You were so chill the whole visit and you didn't even cry when the nurse pricked your heel for blood samples.  I love that you only cry when we leave the room at bedtime or when you are just waking up to eat.  It is so pleasant to be with you!


Daphne, you are a wonder baby when it comes to sleep!  You sleep consistently 5-6 hours most nights, take a late night feeding and go right back to bed for another 3 hours.  You go anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hours in between feedings and at some point in the day you like to be awake for a 3-4 hour stretch of time.  I think that's why you sleep so well at night little angel.  Daddy and I had you sleep in a bassinet in our room when we first got you home.  That lasted a grand total of 2 nights.  Every little sound you made - or didn't make -would wake us up.  We both kept checking to make sure you were breathing and we couldn't get a wink of sleep!  You graduated to your crib in the next room and the arrangement has been suiting everyone just fine.


Although you had been bathed by the nurses at the NICU, Daddy and I gave you your first bath when you were one week old.  You didn't make a single noise, but just stared up at us with your great big eyes with a content little look on your face.  Dad was super paranoid about getting your raisin wet, putting too much lotion on your skin, the water being too cold - you name it!  He's very protective of you.  :)

When you were 8 days old my cousin Susie Stout came to take pictures of you.  She is really talented and had the cutest ideas.  You slept through most of the photos, but got pretty fed up with all the repositioning after a couple of hours.  Susie did an awesome job, but in hindsight I wish I had done a few of just your tiny little body with no flowers or froo-froo to capture your perfect face and tiny features in their natural state. I'm thinking of taking some more this coming week, but you're already so much bigger than you were that it won't be quite the same.  Oh well, ce la vie!



Here are some other things we've noticed about you:

1) You like to sleep with your arms above your head and hate to have them swaddled down.
2) You will take a binkie and a bottle of pumped milk, but I don't want you getting dependent on either.
3) When you are awake you are SO alert, taking in your surroundings with wide, curious eyes, just like your Daddy.
4) You have long, delicate fingers and toes.
5) If I try to get you to look at me when you're checking out your surroundings, you will just lift your eyes over my head or to the side, refusing to make eye contact.
6) Nearly every time we change your diaper, you wait until the second your bum is uncovered and either start peeing or pooping.  Ew!  A few nights ago your poor Daddy went through 4 diapers within 2 minutes as you shot a fountain of poo clear across the room.  It was disgusting, but also pretty amazing!
7) You are so strong! You can lift your head and look around the room and when we do tummy time you arch your back and lift your whole upper torso off the ground.
8) Your hands and feet have bad circulation and get cold and bluish very easily.
9) You can sleep through any noise when you are in the "out cold" stage.
10) You do a huge, wide-mouthed smile that melts my heart when you are waking up.


Daddy loves to squeeze you and play with you when your awake.  He calls you Daffodil or Daffodilly.
I call you Daph-nie-nie from time to time and we both call you Daph for short.  We love to snuggle with you, sing songs and watch your facial expressions change in the blink of an eye.

As for me, I am recovering decently from the long labor and c-section.  I am able to move around pretty good, but I get tired very quickly, in part because nursing is very draining.  My incision KILLS every time I sneeze, cough or laugh too hard.  The days are passing in a blur and I often wish you could stay this precious and tiny forever.  I want to get you on a consistent schedule, but I am trying to not be too worried about following the Baby Wise book to the T.

Most of all, I am so happy being your mother. Sometimes when I hold you and you're looking so intently at something just beyond my sight, I wonder who you are seeing.  I feel a calms spirit in our home and I truly believe that there are people watching over us that you can see and I cannot.  The intense love I feel for you is unlike anything I have felt in my life before.  I would do anything to protect you and keep you happy and safe.

I love you baby girl and feel so blessed to be your mother.  Grow on little one.

Love you forever and always,

Your Mama

Comments

She is so sweet! What a good idea for her baby book, for some reason I think it's easier to blog than journal.