Church Widow

*This post is primarily for journaling purposes to record my thoughts and feelings about this change in our lives.


Yesterday Burke was set apart in his new calling in our church as Ward Executive Secretary.  If you don't know what that is, don't worry, neither did I.  Bishop Wursten sat us down and said Burke would basically be his right hand man - he makes all the appointments and keeps the Bishop's schedule on track and keeps a record of everyone's assignments.  He also has to go to all the Ward Council and Priesthood Council meetings now as well as spending long nights at the church on Tuesday and Thursday when Bishop has meetings with ward members.  Ever optimist, Burke is excited for the change and the opportunity to learn something new.

A couple of things have stuck out to me through this experience.  The first is the way the stake offered the initial call.  We sat down a couple of weeks ago with President Hafen and the first thing he did after extending the call was to turn to me and say, "Sister Adams, is your husband worthy of this call?"  It took me by surprise and then touched my heart to see the wisdom in such a query.  Who better than a man's wife should know if he is living worthy to receive divine inspiration in his calling?  He asked if Burke treated me with love and respect and if he was a good father to our daughter before turning to Burke and allowing him to answer for his worthiness.  I felt so grateful that I could answer to the affirmative to all his questions.  Yes, Burke is an amazing husband who treats me with tenderness and respect every day while being so loving and watchful with our daughter.  He is heart and soul converted to the gospel and loves the Lord, wanting so badly to do what is right.  At the end of our conversation President Hafen shook Burke's hand and said, "It's a long road ahead of you, but the blessings are worth every sacrifice that will be asked of you."

That's the second thing that has stuck out to me - the interesting approach from the other men in stake leadership positions emphasizing the hard work ahead.  They keep saying things like, "Congratulations on the new call!  Or should I say, my condolences?"  Yesterday after they set him apart, the stake high councilmen said to me with a sad chuckle, "Well, this begins a life time of being a church widow for you."

I've been dwelling on that statement and the sacrifices that will be required.  Yes, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints asks a lot from its members.  We work hard to forsake sin and seek for light.  We give up our desires, habits and sometimes even dreams.  We give of our talents, our energy, a portion of our income and an even greater portion of our time.

But isn't this what we have time for?  Isn't serving others exactly what the Savior modeled for us to do?  I believe strongly that everything we have been blessed with is a direct result of trying to follow the gospel and our Heavenly Father's plan for us.  Anything that he asks from us in return is in reality such a small price for the bounty he gives us daily.  It is a privilege to serve and I am grateful for a husband who looks forward to it rather than begrudges the call.

So yes, things are changing for our little family.  The past year has been probably the most peaceful and smooth sailing of my life.  We have had so much time together and spent so many happy hours, but I knew it couldn't last forever, so I enjoyed it while I could.  Now, our time together will be significantly decreased, but I feel confident that life will continue to be joyful as we try to serve God faithfully and utilize the time we do have for one another more efficiently.  It's a good change and I look forward to seeing how we are refined in the process.

Comments

Marinda said…
Good girl. Thanks for the optimistic attitude. It makes such a difference in how you feel about and deal with the "alone time." Just think of it as a way to strengthen your independence! Whether you want the independence or not, you'll be a better woman for it! And husbands are way more sexy when they're filled with religion!
The Burr's said…
Em I love your positive outlook on life!! That calling is a big complement to burke and you!! You both are strong enough to accept what change it will bring! You have the cutest little family! We miss you guys, and need to hangout soon!!