Logan - August 2012: Part One

The past few weeks have been wonderful as I was able to spend the biggest chunk of time in Logan since Burke and I were married.  Although I now consider “home” to be wherever Burke and Daphne are, I will forever hold a spot in my heart for my beloved Cache Valley.  It seems like every time I go back there are half a dozen new businesses around town.  Burke has gotten to the point where he rolls his eyes when I point to the next spot in amazement and gasp out, “THAT’S new!”   Apparently, I also always point out the same landmarks and tell the same stories as we come into town (“That’s the park they used to flood in the winters and turn into an ice skating rink,” or “I used to run along the trails up in the foothills until Mom got scared a Bobcat was going to eat me”).    Burke had me laughing sheepishly as we drove around town and he was able to finish a few of my stories for me!  Either I have a really bad memory or I just really want him to know what a happy life I led in my home town – or both! J

Here are some of the day by day highlights of our trip.


On Tuesday, August 7 Burke drove Daphne and I to St. George in the early morning to load in the van with Cassie and the kids and make the trek to Logan a few days ahead of the hubbies.  It was wonderful to have 6 hours to talk with Cassie on the drive up only interrupted by squawkings from the babies for food or toys or just to let us know they were still in their carseats and still bored.  Really, the kids did an awesome job on the drive and we were there before we knew it.


Once in Logan Daphne took an immediate shining to Mom's lawn ducks - much to Gramsie Mumsie's delight!  That first day was super chill just unwinding, watching the Olympics and visiting.

  

On Wednesday we had a fun day for the kids playing giant croquet that my mom made for them out of fun-noodles and multicolored balls which was super creative and fun for everyone.


Then Mom busted out the water table and kiddie pool and the kids played in the backyard contentedly all afternoon.



Daphne was cracking us up putting her face right in the water and sticking her tongue out to try and get a drink from the spray.



At one point we looked around for the babies, thinking they had been playing with the balls, but in a matter of moments they had abandoned the croquet and were attempting to climb the big yellow slide to the top of the stairs.  Notice that Daphne is in the lead - I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of more mischievous antiques she'll lead her cousins to do in the future!





Dad was able to sneak home from work during lunch and show the kiddos the giant vegetables growing in his garden with a zucchini nearly the same size as Daphne!


That night, after more Olympics and putting the kiddos to bed, Cassie and I headed for the Ellen Eccles Theater to hear Daddy in concert with the American Festival Chorus (under the baton of Craig Jessop) and the operatic talents from the Utah Festival Opera as they performed Bach's four hour masterpiece,  "St. Mathew's Passion".  Although I dearly love music and especially love supporting my Daddy, I must admit I am not a great opera enthusiast, yet the high alto notes sung by an extremely talented man were both shocking and amazing to hear.  I've never heard a man hit such high notes and if you closed your eyes, you would have sworn it was a woman singing for certain.  It was a very fine night and I certainly felt more "cultured" after the experience.

Comments