Logan: Part Three


Satuday, August 11, Dan, Daddy and Burke went golfing in the early morning and were eaten alive by mosquitoes.  Once they were home, Mom, Cassie, GG and I went to the Farmers Market and bought some adorable jewelry from the artists at the park.  The Farmers Market is new since I lived in Logan (or else I didn't know about it!) and I absolutely loved the eclectic tents of home-grown vegetables, local photography, crocheted beenies, unique jewelry, etc.  Such a fun atmosphere!

In the afternoon I was able to interview GG for another hour or so before Burke and I took our traditional drive across the valley to Gosner's Cheese Factory.  We come here every time we are in Logan and load up on the mini-boxed creames and milks to take home to Burke's mom and sisters, plus a bag of squeaky cheese for the road as well (for Burke, not me - yuck!).  It cracks me up that I had never been there in my life until after we got married.  I guess some things you don't appreciate until you see it from an outsiders perspective.


That night after dinner we had a quick race in the...oh shoot, I can't remember what this inflatable boat track is called, but we had a chance to test run it before Mom's scouts use it.  We each got to decorate a family boat and race.  As you can see, our rudder wasn't installed very well and we got our hineys kicked every time!



I also just have to take a minute to talk about my Mom.  I think I recognized on this trip more than any other just how much my Mom does to make our visits home enjoyable and to take el primo care of her family.  Not only did she create that amazing giant croquet set before we came (see first post about our Logan trip), but she also bought all these boats for us to race, made bow & arrows for each of the grandkids out of plastic Pringle cans, elastic and branches from the berm, gave the kids cool water toys, mended 3 shirts and 2 pairs of pants that I brought home, made an adorable skirt for Daphne, stayed up late talking to me several nights, and of course made plates of her famous mint chocolate chip brownies to take on the road with us, etc., etc.  Sometimes when all 8 of us kids are home with our spouses and kids, things get so nuts at the house that it is easy to see why Mom is sometimes stressed to her max and not able to relax and enjoy the time together.  With just 2 of the 8 of us there for this visit, I was so pleased to see Mom down on ground putting together puzzles with her grandkids, despite the pain in her knees and her mile long To-Do list.  Just like Daddy, she too amazes me.


Mom and Dad put the babies to bed while the Ridings, Burke and I went on a date to see our little sister Tasha playing Ermengarde in The Old Barn Theater's production of "Hello Dolly".  She was darling as always and we were thoroughly entertained, although almost as much by the people in the crowd as the show itself.



The Old Barn is a theater-in-the-round, so the audience surrounds the stage on all four sides, making you feel like you're right in the action, but also allowing a view of the other viewers.  Check out these hilarious audience members who had us dying with laughter throughout the show.  Am I a weirdo for taking pictures of them?


This couple in matching plaid had me grinning all night.  They were SO into the show.  I don't think that wide-mouthed grin left her face the whole night and his was usually equally broad.  I took pleasure watching her as she is appeared to me like someone who has a great zest for life and takes joy in the little things.  It made me want to be more easy to please and less critical.


Then there was the sulking teenage brother who clearly was only at the show because he had to be.  During intermission he was lying completely flat on his stomach in front of his chair and his posture regressed further and further down in his chair during the second act until his head was lolling so far off his shoulders it looked like it was about to fall right off!  So painfully funny!

Our trip to Logan finally concluded Sunday morning as we took a moment to listen to Daddy playing the grandkids lullabies on the piano and then as we all scurried out the door to church.  The River Heights 3rd Ward got a new bishopric that day and I was quite moved by the thoughts that were shared and the confirmation of the spirit that Ron Zollinger would be the new Bishop.  That wonderful man has served as a counselor in 3 previous Bishoprics - I believe for a total of 13 years already - so if his call is the standard 5 years he will have served for 18 exhausting years!  What a wonderful example of doing our duty and serving faithfully now matter how long we are called to labor.

We were out the door soon after Sacrament Meeting and on our way to Montana for the second chapter of our wonderful trip.

Comments