Nature Calls


Over the past month we've had several opportunities to enjoy time in the great outdoors before the winter snows set in.  While in Logan, I was aching for a chance to escape up the canyon for a fall hike.  I was little sad we had missed the peak of the vibrant fall leaves, but glad for chance to catch the tail end of autumn.  Generally, the majority of our visits to Logan have been in the snowy winter months and I have been anxious to give Burke a taste of my childhood home in all 4 seasons.  I requested that we do a hike on Saturday afternoon and Dad suggested Crimson Trail.  I remembered that I had always enjoyed hiking the Crimson Trail, but in my mind I remembered it so much differently!  In my memories, there were a few treacherous spots, with a bit of uphill at the beginning, but mostly lovely vistas from the "China Wall" of the canyon below.  While Uncle Kirk and Aunt Debbie hiked the river trail at the base of the mountain, Daddy, Daphne, Burke and I began the steep ascent, realizing very quickly that carrying a 2-year-old up severely inclined switchbacks is not the smartest idea we had all day.

Daphne with Grandpa and his positive "onward and upward!" attitude


Once we got to the top, I quickly realized my 10+ year-old memories had not served me well at all.  This hike is TREACHEROUS to say the least.  Once you reach the top, there is about 1.5 miles of hiking along the sheer cliffs of insanity! (name that movie) Either my fear of heights has worsened in the past few years or I was trying to be brave for friends/family in earlier years, because it was pretty intensely scary for us (Burke also has a big fear of heights).  What made it worse was having our precious and high energy toddler at the top of these cliffs with us.  I had knots in my stomach the entire time realizing that one sporadic move on her part could throw off our balance and send someone plummeting 1,000 feet to their death.  WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!


My Dad wins the "Grandpa of the Year Award" for certain for this hike as he carried Daphne 80% of the time while Burke and I cautiously picked our way along the trail, praying that we wouldn't slip and die.  As you can see, in that top left photo, Burke was NOT a happy camper about all this and consequently couldn't be persuaded to enjoy the beautiful view.  Dad was ever-cheerful, despite his extra 25 pound load and kept our little miss laughing the entire way.  I am so glad he was there with us!

Me and Daddy at the end of the hike by a lovely mossy stream

Interestingly enough, Burke was so bothered by how shaken up he was on the trail that he has vowed to go back and hike it again next summer.  Are you up for it Daddy?  I think I may stay at home with Daphne while Burke shows the mountain who's boss.


A few other outdoor adventures we've had in recent weeks have included raking up leaves and jumping in the crunchy, earthy-rich-smelling piles over and over again with Daphne.

I love how the early morning sun brought out the rich brown tones of the earth.  I also love the splash of red from Daphne's coat.  Almost looks like Little Red Riding Hood with her trusty wolf friend. :)

Long (read: *very, very slow* - we go at Daphne's pace) walks with Daphne and Roxy in the undeveloped land around our neighborhood.


Going on a drive up Cedar Canyon to enjoy the fall leaves.


Skipping pebbles (splashing rocks for Daphne and I - never have mastered the technique of pebble throwing) at the river.


And a night of fishing at The Hoosier - my second time fishing and the first time in my life that I've ever seen a fish caught!  We drove up after Burke got off work for family home evening a few weeks ago and met up with Mike, LeeAnn and their girls, Alan, Marie, and Kristen.  By the time we arrived they already landed 3 trout and Sadie and LeeAnn each caught one more while we were there!  I had something tug on my pole, but it slipped the hook before I could reel it in.  Bummer!


 It was so dang beautiful out there and such fun to be with the family.  We took Roxy with us and she was going crazy barking at the fishes flopping on the bank.


That same weekend, Burke and Daphne went fishing with Alan while I threw my Taylor Swift party.  They had a hay day, catching 6 fish in 30 minutes!  


Wish I could have been there to see it in action, but I sure enjoyed the after product just as well! Yummy!



We live in such a glorious world!  I am so glad I get to partake in its wonders often!

Comments