Reading, Snowman and Kelly Visit

We had such a wonderful weekend!  It started early with an overnight visit from our dear friends Josie, Rick and baby Forrest Kelly.  Their visit was a bit impromptu - a brief getaway before Rick starts his new job in Salt Lake.  We were so glad they would come so far our of their way to spend a little time with us.  I adore my Jo-Lu.  We've been fast friends since 6th grade and I feel so lucky to call her a bestie.  I feel like we could talk nonstop for days if given the opportunity.  Our time together was cut a bit short by the snowstorm that kept them on the roads late, but that didn't stop us from having a wonderful visit.  I could just eat baby Forrest up!  He is by far one of the cutest babies I have ever seen and watching him discover the joys of bouncing in Daphne's old bouncer was priceless.  I was enjoying myself too much to remember to take pictures, but Burke and I both commented on what a great time we had with the Kelly's and how glad we are they came to see us!

Meanwhile, we have been loving this beautiful autumn with mild sunny days and chilly nights.  After being without seasons for the past 4.5 years (12 for Burke!) it has been so delightful to be in a climate where the leaves change colors and the snowflakes fall ushering in a long winter.  On Saturday, we spent 3 hours in the yard using every last patch of snow to build a bunker with a snow slide and a snowman who, as Daphne would say, is "tall tall tall!"  Just 3 days later and the snow is almost completely melted, but Mr. Snowman resists the warm rays and is clinging to life with all his might!


Daphne in front of the bunker - we covered her little tyke slide with snow for a quick entrance :)

In other news, I have been trying to teach Daphne to read.  She can now identify the sounds to all the letters in the alphabet (although she still struggles with "H" for some reason) and we are trying to put them together by sounding out short words like cat, dog, mom, milk, etc.  This video is probably one of my favorites we have ever taken of Daphne!  We just wanted to document how she is starting to sound out the letters together, but she surprised us with this hilarious little clip.  Hope you enjoy!


Comments

Lyndi said…
Darling! I love it!
Unknown said…
Aww- I'm so glad I came to your blog (also to your house, haha)! This post is great, and it can be my journal entry too since I never did write one. Also, I was totally kicking myself all the way home for not taking pictures. But I guess that shows how much we had to talk about!
Xoxox