#12 - The Journey with Twins: Dad's Tribute

*Originally posted in July 2017 - Dates changed so The Journey with Twins posts could all be found in one spot together.

The night before the memorial my parents came into town and stayed the night at our home.  My Dad is extremely gifted musically and has written a song for each new grandchild when they are born to be played privately to the parents and child when they visit for their baby blessing.  Each song is an absolute treasure, priceless to the family and, specifically, the grandchildren, who feel so loved to have these special songs written just for them.

That night, Dad played for me the duet he had written for my boys.  He confessed that as Mom had been away helping me through our difficult pregnancy, loss and delivery that he spent many nights praying and weeping over the keys of the piano, the music expressing for him what his aching heart could not verbalize.  The song was absolutely beautiful and the words were both comforting and heart wrenching.  My parents and I wept through the whole piece, making it impossible for Dad to play it how he intended.  The next day, he and my brother-in-law, Karl, struggled to sing through the piece at Aiden's Memorial service and moved everyone in attendance to tears as well.

However, it wasn't until our visit to my parents over the 4th of July two weeks ago that I finally heard the song how it was intended when Dad gave us an updated CD of all the grandkids' songs with the recorded version.  I had felt strong and emotionally in control when I thought or spoke about Aiden for the past couple of months, but when I heard the two melodies joining powerfully together as one, I completely lost it.

The day after we got home, I stayed up late into the night putting together images and words to match Dad's stunning tribute.  Music has always seemed to transcend earthly expression for me and this gorgeous piece helps me to instantly feel closer to heaven and my identical sons in a way that no words can.  I hope when you hear it, it brings a little bit of Aiden and Alan's special spirits into your hearts as well.

Thank you Daddy for loving my babies before you even met them, for honoring them with your remarkable gifts and for bringing us one step closer to understanding the plan Heavenly Father has for them.  We love you so.







Comments

This is absolutely perfect Emily. What a special gift and a beautiful, beautiful video. Hugs to you my friend.