Gun Policy

Burke and I don't argue. But we have had a few disagreements. The most heated of which was a discussion about guns. It went something like this.

Me: We're not going to have guns in our home.
Burke: Uh...sorry sweetheart, but that's not an option.
Me: Fine, we can have them until we start having kids and then they will NOT be in our home.
Burke: No, we will just teach our kids to have a healthy respect for them.
Me (close to tears): But some day one of them will find the gun and the bullets and get into the cabinet and shoot themselves or one of their friends and you'll use it on robbers and go to jail and then I'll be all alone with a husband in jail and a dead child!
Burke: Wow.

Ok, so that's obviously not word for word, but I have taken an adamant stand against fire arms in the home and Burke, who was raised on guns, has continued to defend them. After expressing all my fears and he detailing all the positive aspects we came to compromise. He can have his 5 guns in the home if (and only if) they are in a locked safe which only he and I will know the combination to. As the children get older he will teach them about fire arms and hunter safety and our family will have a healthy respect for them rather than fear. But that meant ALL the family. Burke pointed out that I couldn't be judgemental about something that I have absolutely no experience with. I agreed, and it was decided that he would teach me about guns and I said I would even be willing to go on the family deer hunt to see what it was that made him so firm in his gun rights.
While in Parowan for General Conference the first weekend in October, Burke took me up the canyon in between sessions and introduced me 2 different guns: a rifle and a pistol. We set up targets about 50 yards away and put on top 2 liter pop bottles and empty soda cans that were littered about the area. Burke patiently explained each part of the gun to me and how to be as cautious as possible, how to load, aim and shoot. I had to eat some humble pie when he asked what I thought and I couldn't help but admit that it was exciting and fun!

I was actually looking forward to the hunt, but when I got a call that one of my best friends from Logan (my sweet Josie Olsen) was coming down that same weekend I opted to stay and spend some time with her instead. Burke went and had a great time and I promised that I would join him next year. Would you believe I'm not even dreading it?! It's true - honest!

Comments

Erica said…
Boy does that situation sound awfully familiar. Unfortunately, I'm still not a good sport about guns. I hate that they are in our house, especially when Daren leaves them laying around and I am forced to put them in their proper place. Who knows if it could just go off or something. Even after I shot a couple it didn't change my mind...exciting? fun? You are crazy! But you're good at that compromising thing...