What Will Be My Legacy?

While in Parowan for the fair we went to Burke's 10 Year Class Reunion (he's so old!) where I got to meet a few of his classmates that I've heard so much about. Burke graduated with a class of 50 and it was neat to see how tight their class was and they all seemed to genuinely care about each other even 10 years later. Burke introduced us by saying he only got married so he wouldn't have to show up at the reunion alone - NICE sweetie.

After the reunion we went to Burke's grandmother Hazel's 90th Birthday. Hazel has had Alzheimer's for about 10 years and sadly doesn't recognize her family anymore. It was one of those moments where I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I contented myself as I sat back and watched; so impressed by what I saw. Grandpa Roy ("Pug") sat right by his wife's side, gently feeding her and whispering what other people said even though she made no response. Hazel's sons and daughters were all there with their children and grandchildren - each taking a turn to come hug her and talk to her despite her silence. From an "outsiders" perspective I could see crystal clear how much this family has been affected by their grandmother and how much love she has cultivated during her life. As one granddaughter read a history she had written about Hazel's life there were tears all around and I couldn't help wishing I had known her before the Alzheimer's as the master chef, the teacher, the mother/grandmother, the woman who has left such a legacy of love.

I reflected on the kind of woman I want to be known as and the memories I want to leave behind. I thought about how the things remembered most are the little nuances, the kind gesture or word. I came away feeling a need to be better day to day; more loving to my husband, more thoughtful towards my associates, more aware of my surroundings. What kind of legacy do you think you're leaving behind?

Comments