War with the Book Store: Part II

This is a blog about THIS book.

Remember my rant about the book store last week? Well, I had another run in yesterday. Here's the story:
At the start of the semester (BEFORE I learned about Chegg) a girl in one of my Education classes sold me a textbook. She had bought the book the previous semester (*brand new*) from the book store for $165, but due to a car wreck the next week she was unable to every use the book since she was in the hospital for several months. So I bought the book off of her for $50, delighted with my deal and the glossy hardback that had never been opened. Well guess what...the professor didn't do a SINGLE stinkin thing out of that book the whole semester. Boo.

Which brings us to yesterday when I foolishly decided to sell the book during "buy back" week at the college book store. I naively approached the long table set out in front of the doors with four cashiers chatting away. I was the only person in line, so I had their full attention as I slid my perfect-condition textbook across the table and was handed back exactly $25 dollars. Nope, I did NOT forget to put a "1" in front of that number. Now, I am usually a very polite person, but I could not help but let out an incredulous, "Are you serious?!" The girl at the table just raised her eyebrow and said, "That's as much as we can give you."

I died. Seriously, I died right then and there. In a daze I pocketed the filthy bills and retreated downstairs where I saw my wonderful sister-in-law, Danelle, at her desk for campus catering and relayed the whole scenario to her with flushed cheeks. She gave me the courage I needed when she insisted I go back for the book. SO I DID!

I marched right back up there. They all saw me coming. Their faces turned grim as all 4 foot 11 and 3/4 inches of me shook with rage. Here's how it played out.

* * *
Me (*thrusting the crumpled bills in the register's direction*): I know this isn't very orthodox, but can I please have my book back?
Stunned Cashier: Uh, we've already put it away.
Me (*a little less politely and pointing to my bright yellow book behind her*): Oh, you mean in that stack right behind your chair?
Annoyed Cashier: Yeah...I guess I could scan it back in.
Me: That would be great. (*as cashier is scanning the book*) You know, I just have to say, I think this is wrong. (*As if they weren't staring already, the whole line stiffens*) That book was $165 dollars and I saw on your website last night that you will be selling that book "used" for $125 next semester. I think that's very dishonest and there is no way I'm going to accept $25 dollars for a book that is "worth" $165. (*Taking my book out of the flushed cashier's hands.*) Thanks, have a good day.
* * *

Can you believe me my audacity! I came back down the stairs with my book over head to the cheers of Danelle!

NEVER sell back to the bookstore. Fight the madness! (*just for the record, I'm still ticked*)

Comments

you can sell you book on half.com for pretty much the same price it was sold for especially since it's never been used. That is where I sell my books.
Katie said…
HAHA Emily that is SO funny! I just love you.