Ward Family

I've been meaning to write a post about our ward for a long time. We are in one of those classic wards where 75% of the congregation is over age 60. From our very first week, they have taken Burke and I under their arm and made us feel so loved and welcomed. My first Sunday in Relief Society, a sister who is 85 years old came and put her arm around me and with tears in her eyes she said, "We prayed you here! We've all been praying for young people to come to our ward." We absolutely love this ward and one of our favorite things about it is being directly across the street from the St. George temple. This is what we see when we walk outside this time of year!


As most of you know Burke and I had three callings within the first few weeks, but now we each just have one. Burke is doing a wonderful job as the primary chorister and it's obvious our small primary loves him already! A few weeks ago he had a mutiny in nursery as two darling little girls (who are cousins) started chanting, "No more singing! No more singing!"

I am loving my calling as the beehive advisor. My 12 and 13 year olds are so endearingly awkward and sweet! It's hard to watch them display their insecurities so plainly written in their body language and I find myself wanting to shout, "Don't you see how amazing you are?!" It makes me wonder if my YW leaders thought the same thing during my self conscious years. I am constantly impressed with these dear girls who clearly love the Lord, the LDS church and their families. I've never seen a YW group that is so kind and inclusive to ALL of the young women. It's been really neat to watch and learn from their examples. I hope they're learning from me too!

So early on the ward found out that Burke and I love music and we have become a part of the ward choir and asked several times to perform musical numbers at ward activities. Our ward Christmas party was no exception. Burke played the guitar and I sang "Mary's Lullaby" - the one that starts, "All mine in your loveliness, baby all mine..." It turned out really well! Burke was also asked to sing White Christmas with a few other men in a key not even Barry White would be able to hit! It was all I could do to contain myself from giggling in the middle of their grizzly bear singing, but the ward (as with everything) just loved it! Here they are in all their glory!

Comments

Katie said…
Fun stuff Em! I didn't know you are a beehive advisor that is awesome!