My Favorite Quote

"If we don't offer ourselves to the unknown, our senses dull.  Our world becomes small and we lose our sense of wonder.  Our eyes don't life to the horizon; our ears don't hear the sounds around us.  The edge is off our experience and we pass our days in a routine that is both comfortable and limiting.  We wake up one day and find that we have lost our dreams in order to protect our days.  The fear of the unknown and the lure of the comfortable will conspire to keep you from taking the chances the traveler has to take.  But if you take them, while there may be moments of doubt to be sure, you will never regret your choice."

-Sabrina Ward Harrison



I've been thinking a lot lately about my travels.  I laughed the other night as I told Burke that in a matter of three years (2007 to  2010), I have lived in 6 different cities, in 4 countries, on 3 continents AND I was never in one city for longer than four months.  Mountain View, California - Logan, Utah - Tehuacan, Mexico - Logan - Chennai, India - Logan - St. George, Utah (to date Burke) - Logan (broke up with Burke) - St. George (married Burke) - Paris, France - AND currently back in St. George.  To look at that list, you may think I was flighty and perhaps I was (I must certainly was if you were to ask my father!), however, I felt good about every single move and I learned from each and every one of them.


I was given that beautiful quote on my first day of teacher training in Mexico.  I thought it was nice then, but in the subsequent moves and travels, I have discovered how incredibly poignant it is.  It captures the very real truths that there will be fears and doubts along the way, but if we don't take the chance, if we don't dive headlong into the unknown, we will miss the greatest lessons life has to teach us.


Tonight I am missing that little bit of unknown that became known.

















Comments

What a small world! His sisters name is Courtney and his dad's name is Lisle. If he is from St.G then he probably does know them! haha
Whitney said…
Hi Em!

I guess we're both in a nostalgic frame of mine. I've been uploading and saving picture from Jr/Sr on my computer, and I got all misty thinking about everyone and everything we did together. I don't know if I'd want to go back for all of it--but looking at a few of the pictures, I definitely wouldn't mind revisiting some memories! Love ya!
Katie said…
What a fun post! Thanks for sharing. :)
Katie said…
What a fun post! Thanks for sharing. :)