Minor Freak Out

I had my first freak out on one of my classes yesterday.  The last period of the day always starts with the Pledge of Allegiance and announcements over the PA system.  I've noticed two of my sassy girls have been reluctant to stand and pledge the last couple of class periods.  It has bugged me, but I wasn't sure if it was my place to say anything.  Yesterday when the pledge started these two girls stayed with their bottoms glued to their chairs when the announcer said, "Please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance."  I raised my eyebrows at them and they raised their eyebrows back.  And I simply lost it.

Mini Statue of Liberty in Paris

I'm not sure why this little act of defiance lit my fuse so thoroughly.  Perhaps it is because I have a World Literature class in the evenings and we have been reading a book a week, each focusing on different nations in the world that have suffered mans inhumanity to man from Iran's Islamic Regime, to South Africa's battle with Apartheid.  These weighty topics and heart-wrenching stories have caused several later night conversations between the hubby and myself about our country, our freedoms, and how blessed we are to live in this land.  Perhaps I flipped because I am extremely patriotic and know so many people who have fought and sacrificed on behalf of our country.  Perhaps it is because every time I see our flag I think of white crosses against green cemetery lawns in Normandy and Gettysburg.  Perhaps it is because I am large with child and starting to feel more drained each day.

Cemetery at Normandy, France

Whatever the case, I jabbed a finger at those young ladies and insisted, "Get up. NOW."  Their eyes widened and they did so.  We finished the pledge and I turned with banshee-like rage and said, "I will NOT tolerate disrespect for the flag in this classroom!  You absolutely WILL stand for the pledge!"  I realized at this point that my face was flaming and my voice shaking, so I let the announcements continue on while I tried to compose myself.  As I sat back down I heard a shocked, "whoa" from one of my students.  I don't think they realized I could (or would) yell.

Once the announcements ended, I calmly got up in front of the class and took a moment to explain myself.  I talked about the flag and what it represents.  I talked about freedom and respecting those who have ensured we have it.  I admitted I could not force them to say the pledge, but I insisted that they would treat that time with respect.  And then we moved on.  However, I am still thinking about this incident a day later, wondering how I can teach these kids to value the freedom they have and honor the people who gave it to them.  I'm sure many of them do, but I'm already devising ways that I can weave this topic into the upcoming curriculum and get these kids thinking hard about all that they've been given.

Comments

Liv Blair said…
My dad has that problem every semester in his creative arts class when he asks students to stand and sing the national anthem or God Bless America. He even gets hate mail for it every year. So lame. It's sad when people from other countries come and stand when the flag passes yet people who are citizens of this country show such disrespect as to not stand.
Anonymous said…
While I understand where you are coming from... they ARE teenagers and simply do not understand the significance of the gesture. I am glad that you said something- not just- 'stand up' but that it is disrespectful.

xoxo
Good for you Emily :) I feel the very same way. Hopefully in time they will understand.
Lo-train said…
I cannot picture that coming for sweet, little you! But I'm so glad you did and think you should yell at people more often. Haha!
Love,
Lorraine and Kelly