Week 8

The Good Stuff


1) This week my juniors put on a trial as a group project to better understand The Scarlet Letter.  They were required to dress up as if they were in a real court of law and the vast majority showed up to class spiffied up, ready to get into character.  It was hilarious to see the cross-examiners pace back and forth in front of our make-shift witness stand and ask questions in unnaturally deep voices such as, "Hester Prynn, do you realize the emotional damage my client has had to face due to your thoughtless actions?"  This was often followed by fist pounding and exclamations of, "I rest my case!" no matter what the response. :)  It was a blast!

2) Wednesday night I got a text from my big brother Gabus the Babus announcing THIS!


He and his adorable girlfriend Ellen are now officially engaged and planning on a June 1st wedding!  Gabe, unique and creative as always, took Ellen on a ride with an Olympic bobsledder on the Olympic track in Park City and dropped to his knee after their whirlwind ride!


I am so thrilled that we get to add one more sister to the Bush family and Ellen fits in perfectly!  She and Gabe complement each other so well and now their pooch, Winston, can rest easy with his parents getting married at last. :)  The only downside to this...the wedding is 8 days before my due date.  I'm praying I will be in a stable enough condition to make it, even if I look like a mini whale in all the pictures!

3) In my World Lit class we read the play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams, mostly because the Dixie theater program is performing the play this week.  We were required to go to the play and then write a lengthy paper analyzing the differences from the written text and the dramatic performance of the text.  I was really nervous to go because the written play included 8-10 F bombs and countless of other profanities.  I knew they had cleaned up the language a bit, but Burke and I decided we would leave if it got too foul.  I was shocked and pleased to find they had removed every last F word and many of the other cusses as well.  The man playing "Big Daddy" was incredible and the overriding theme of the play about relationships being destroyed by people's inability to talk and be honest about their true feelings has left me thoughtful for the remainder of the week.

4) Burke bought me comfy new shoes to help with my back pain.  I love them!

5) I aced my midterms and got the class high in my World Lit class!  Such a good feeling!

6) We're on Spring Break for the next week!

The Bad


1) Burke has been really sick all week.  He missed two days of work and finally went to the doctor when the coughing became unbearable.  Turns out he has strep and is doing a lot better with a daily dose of Amoxicillin.  It is so sad to see my sweetheart so miserable.

2) One of my students asked me on Thursday, "So, you're due any day now, right?"  Uhh...if by any day you mean three more months, then yes I am.

3) Three more plagiarizers caught.  Seriously, I know you can't write, so when you copy and paste a paragraph with vocabulary words that are way beyond your capabilities it takes me 10 seconds to Google the sentence and find the site you pulled your whole paper from.  Super annoying.

4) Four girls aced their final test when they normally struggle in my class.  Due to a long drawn out situation (which I won't detail at this time) that is mostly my fault, I am fairly certain these girls had a copy of the answer key to the test.  Still trying to decide how to handle the situation.


5) My entire Spring Break will be spent grading these papers and reading those novels so I can begin teaching them next week.  I've never read either of them, but anticipate they will make for great subject matter to deal with in the last 6 weeks of my student teaching.




Baby Update


1) I go in for my 7 month check-up on Tuesday and I will be shocked if I haven't gained a good 5 pounds.

2) Little lady is constantly putting her foot in between my ribs and lungs which makes for some very uncomfortable days.  She is getting pretty dang active and I love feeling her wiggle around inside.

3) I'm starting to feel more inclinations to "nest" and have begun the search for a crib, car seat and jogging stroller.  Many of the essentials have been graciously offered to us by family and friends, but I figure those are the three things we need to get on our own.  If you know of good places to shop, let me know.  I'm pretty clueless as to what's a good brand or even what the standard price is on these items.

4) I popped the button off my jeans the other day trying to get out of the car. Not my happiest moment.  Good thing she is worth all these changes and more!

Comments

Shay said…
I would say for a crib you should look at JCPenny. My sister found the one I have for $130. Which sounds like a lot but it also turns into a toddler bed and a full sized bed. It is really cute too:) Plus you can ship to store for I think .99! You look so cute! Pregnant bellies are so cute and you look great Emily!
ellenbush said…
What fun to be mentioned in your blog post! Really exciting time!! :) I am sorry to hear about Burke's illness, send him my best wishes. strep throat is the PITS! Sounds like you're such a good teacher, all the plagiarizing has gotten be annoying. LOVE!