Week 7

The Good Stuff


* As Bon Jovi would wail, "Oooooooohhh, we're halfway there!"  I can't believe I will be done with student teaching in just 7 more weeks.  Time has flown!

* I had another warm fuzzy moment in class yesterday.  My Juniors are doing a final group project on The Scarlet Letter where they get to defend one of the characters in a trial and prove that the other two characters are more guilty.  As they were working in groups I heard one boy say, "Wow, this project is really helping me to understand the book better!"  I nearly squealed with delight!  Who cares if no other students feel this way as long as ONE kid suddenly had a break through.

* My mentor teacher is awesome.  She trusts my decisions, listens to my frustrations, encourages me constantly and always reminds me that I have made the best decision I possibly could to stay home with this little lady when she comes.  She's been teaching for 32 years and she still thinks being a mom is more important.  I love that about her.

The Bad Stuff


* Two plagiarizers caught on research papers...ugh

* It's the end of the quarter next Friday, so suddenly all of my students who haven't turned in a thing for the past 8 weeks are frantically trying to raise a 20% grade to passing at 60%.  I'm too nice and do loads of extra work to try and get them up to par.

* A girl had a toy poodle hidden in her lap for half the day and got caught the same period that a girl came to class drunk and threw up all over.  The great news is that none of these events happened in my classroom, but to my fellow student teacher across the hall!  Poor Derek.

Baby Update


* I'm 6.5 months along with only 97 days until my due date!  Little lady is getting huge and starting to crowd my organs.  Today it feels like her foot is stuck between my ribs and lungs and I can hardly breathe.  I sure hope she is comfortable, because I certainly am not!

* I have a stretch mark.  Yes, I did cry.  Oh the pain of lost vanity!

* My back kills every morning when I wake up.  Body pillow is not helping very much.  What are everyone's thoughts on chiropractors?  I'm scared of going to one, but there is a guy in our ward who specializes in pregnancy chiropractic.  Should I go see him?

* Time to start getting serious about a name.  Here are my current top five!

1. Bailey (I don't know any Baileys, so this name is untainted!)
2. Sophie (I don't love that this is on the Top 10 most popular girl names)
3. Claire (Burke says it sounds like an old lady name)
4. Hazel (Burke's grandmother's name who just passed away this past June)
5. Lola (Burke says "she was a show girl", but I like it!)

I'd love to get some feedback!

6. This just in! Burke likes the name Avery.

Comments

Love the name Avery and Bailey those are my fave :) I'm thinking about going to a chiroprator also I am having serious neck pain. Let me know how yours goes if you do. I think Cass has gone before you should ask her but good luck!
Mindy said…
I think Claire is adorable!
Liv Blair said…
I have a niece named Lola. Probably one of my favorite names!
Our dogs name is Avery! haha. But that's only because it's such a cute name. I love Hazel, plus it has special meaning and isn't quite as popular as all those other names. But who cares if it's popular if you like it. That's what we finally had to say about Cate, she's OUR Cate and no one elses.
Whitney said…
I love Hazel and Lola. They're so unique and very feminine. ! Plus if the little lady gets your pipes, Lola would be so fitting!

My SIL went to a chriopracter during her entire pregnancy and she loved it--so if you think it will help your back pain, you should look into it.

And--how on earth did that girl bring a toy poodle to school? It makes me sad to think that these kids are the future...