Uni-hair, Job Interviews and Gift Baskets


On Friday night we went to Brian Regan's comedy act in Cedar City with the Adams family.  He was hilarious and it was wonderful to be with the family.  My favorite joke of the night was when he talked about looking in the mirror and suddenly noticing a uni-hair growing out of your forehead that is like 2 inches long and thinking, "How long has THAT been there?!"  I laughed until I cried because I happen to have a little hair on my chin that I never notice until it is super long and then I think, "How many people have seen this and not told me?!" 

 A few of the Adams family at the Brian Regan Show

The next morning we drove up to Logan.  It snowed the whole way, Burke and I talked the whole drive up, and he almost got us in an accident, but we finally arrived safe and sound.  We had a very nice weekend visiting with the family and even got a sneak preview of Ellen's Senior Interior Design Display.  She is so talented!

Monday morning Burke nervously headed off to his job interview with Campbell Scientific while I went with Mom and Tasha to the cancer center to hang out with Dad during his 6th and final chemotherapy treatment.  We should know in a few weeks how much improvement the chemo has done to Papa's system.  We hope and pray that the results will be positive.  Until then, hang in their Captain Daddy!

Burke joined us at the cancer center after his interview.  The moment he walked in I could tell he felt uneasy.  Truth be told, it looked like he was about to throw-up!  Later, as we talked on the 6 hour drive home, he realized he was just experiencing a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.  On the one hand, he really wants the job and felt confident about his ability to perform all the tasks in the job description.  On the other hand, he knows his competition is steep and couldn't get a feeling one way or the other if he will get the job.  There is the unpleasant part of the job where he would be traveling 50 days a year, leaving me and the baby for 5 days at a time, but also the happiness of being with a company that is so completely aligned with many of his long-term goals.  There is the startling realization that this is not just a job, but possibly a career.  There is the sadness at the thought of leaving southern Utah where the majority of his family lives, but the excitement of moving somewhere new and making a name for himself.  There's the sacrifice of leaving 8 months of sunshine for 6 months of snow.  So many conflicting emotions and so much uncertainty.  All I can say is, I am so proud of him and his hard work.  I am proud of the fact that he made it this far in the interviewing process and that he has had so much positive feedback from Campbells.  In the end, this has been such a positive experience for Burke to realize that A) there are still companies out there hiring  B) there are companies that will value all of his work experience, including 18 years at the farm C) and these companies are interested in HIM as an employee.  We feel confident that we will end up wherever the Lord needs us and that we will continue to be happily married no matter where we are.


In other news, before school started today one of my students brought this gift basket in for me with a card and several adorable baby outfits.  The card almost made me tear up as she thanked me for the things I have taught her and told me how much she liked my teaching style.  She encouraged me to keep teaching and wished me luck with the baby.  It was so incredibly thoughtful and unexpected!  I must admit, I had no idea this girl even liked me as she is very quiet in class and sits on the back row.  I'm starting to realize that those little bits of appreciation truly are why teachers stay in this profession.  What a great start to my day!

Comments

That is great about the job interview, its such a hard time right now. My husband travels for work and it can be kind of rough, but worth it. I love reading your blog and am excited to see how things go for you!
Anonymous said…
Glad things are going well Em. Thanks for the update :) xox
McCall and Eric said…
Congratulations about the interview, what a fun and exciting time of life...and maybe a little nerve racking too. What a sweet student to give you such a thoughtful gift. Those moments make it worth it. I hope that your dad is doing well, and gets some good feedback soon.