Week 11

Exhausting week.  I feel like I've been on the go-go-go all week long.


Good Stuff


1. Welcome Bush grandchild #14!  Amelia Christine was born on Saturday, April 2, to Cassie and Dan Riding.  Look at this gorgeous picture of both Mama and baby.  She doesn't even look remotely close like she just went through labor!  Little Millie is beautiful and holding her makes me so anxious to meet my own sweet baby in a matter of weeks!



2.  On Friday night Burke and I drove up to Parowan to spend conference weekend with the Adams family.  We hadn't been up since New Years and it was so nice to spend some time together.  While the boys went to priesthood session, we girls had Ladies Night.  We went to dinner and did a little shopping before going home and watching "Tangled" with the boys.  Such a fun night.

3.  Alan (Senior, not my Alan Burke) took us out to the farm on Saturday night and showed us the little baby calves.  I had never seen newborns before (just a month or two old); they are darling, frail little creatures, not much bigger than a dog.  The primary reason for going out to the calves was for Alan to doctor a sick calf.  As we pulled up in the field and shined the truck's headlights on the calf, it was interesting to see many of the other cows creeping forward, watching Alan closely.  The mama was mooing like crazy, protective of her sick baby.  As soon as Alan got back in the truck, she and a bunch of other cows gathered round the little calf in a protective ring, many nuzzling his tiny head.  It was sweet to see the way the herd was looking out for each other.  I felt so concerned for the baby's welfare and was relieved when Alan came home Sunday morning with the great news that the calf had lived through the night and was on its way to recovery.

4.  General Conference was amazing and I felt an overall feeling of hope and peace from this conference.  Yes, there are still many things I have to work on, but I felt good about our efforts and the direction our family is headed in.

5.  We are leaving for Cedar City tonight for the Brian Regan Show as soon as Burke gets home from work.  I'm so excited to laugh my guts out!  We'll spend the night in Parowan and head up to Logan tomorrow for Burke's interview with Campbells on Monday!  We are so excited!

The Bad Stuff


While talking about the Holocaust with one of my classes this week a pair of boys started snickering after we read a rather graphic description of the Nazi treatment of the Jews.  I was stunned and honestly I did not know how to respond.  I could not believe the utter disrespect when in the silence that followed one of the boys said casually about the Nazi brutality, "That sucks."  Maybe I should have ranted, but I just gaped at him and began to tear up.  I said some things about the importance of understanding that 6 million individuals with families and dreams of their own were killed during the Holocaust and how essential it is to never forget that horrendous tragedy.  However, I simply did not know how to effectively address their disrespect in that moment.  Class ended a few minutes later and I sat at my desk for the first half of lunch, sick to my stomach, trying to think what would make those boys respond in such a cold and indifferent way and how I in turn should have responded to them.  I think I missed a great teaching moment.  I have got to figure out a way that I can somehow get through to those students* who are steeped in a dangerously callous and apathetic world where they care for nothing and no one except themselves and their immediate satisfaction.  Some days these types of interactions make me feel bitterly hopeless.

(*I realize that many of my students are not to this level of indifference and my other senior class actually had a very constructive discussion later that day. It may even be that these boys don't know how to respond to serious topics like this and unconsciously alleviated their discomfort with laughter.)


Baby Update


1.  Countless of people have now asked me if I'm sure I'm not having twins.  Just for the record, that is RUDE people!  One teacher told me this week, "I NEVER got that big with any of my babies and this is your FIRST?  Wow, you're going to be a mammoth!"  Yes, and you are also 10 inches taller than me madam, so please keep your comments to yourself!

2.  I gained another 4.5 pounds in 3.5 weeks...yikes!  I'm now at the 20 pound mark and measuring big.  I can no longer see my toes and it is getting super uncomfortable to paint my toenails.  The other day Burke started laughing because I had a huge food stain on my shirt on the downward curve of my belly, just below my line of vision, so I was completely oblivious.  Who knows how long it had been there!

3.  Little one is getting so strong.  I love how active she is and feeling her squirm and heave all day long.  Her foot doesn't fit in her favorite rib/lung nook anymore, although I've noticed that is one of her favorite places to kick.  I think she's just mad that she can't jam it in there anymore.  :)  Just love this little lady!

4.  I'm still stressed about names.  Nothing seems just right!  I may have a baby naming contest with my students.  Ideas ideas ideas?!

Comments

Mindy said…
Yeah, I was going to say, you are a little gal. A baby in my belly {at nearly six feet tall} might look a little differnet in yours. I might say something back, "Yeah, the curse of being sooo little and petite in the first place!" Haha! I am naughty, no? Being petite is fabulous - I love that about you {among many other things}. So, pff to the jerks. Keep a running list of their names and I will add them to my Needs to Be Kicked List. :)

P.s. CASSIE, if you read this: you look GORGEOUS.
Liv Blair said…
Wow Cassie...it is NOT normal to look that pretty after having a baby! What cute sisters you are! I love your blog :)
Anonymous said…
:) Smiles. Love ya Em
Chelsea said…
I'm so excited that you are getting so close to having that baby! I love getting the updates.

Oh, and I was so happy to see your padre singing in the choir for General Conference! I think my pops only got screen time once. We've been praying for you guys, and will continue to do so!