Mary Jane

Mary Jane Ellsworth as a little girl - age 3 or 4

Since completing my project to transcribe my great-great-great grandmother's diary, I have been spending much of my free time scanning scores of old photos from my Grandmother Mary Jane Ellsworth's childhood, adolescence and early college years.  Born in 1918, she has lived a long and very full life that I have just barely begun to tap into.

Great Grandma Bertha Berry Bland (Beanie) Newlon - May 1930

It has been such a joy to learn more about her life and the lives of my great-grandparents through these pictures.  It is so clear that my great grandparents adored their only living child and absolutely doted on her.

Bertha and John Hawker with their joy - little MJ.

When my Grandmother was recently asked about what kind of chores she had to do as a child or what her duties were she replied simply and quite seriously, "My only responsibility was to be charming!"  I think that's evident by these beautiful pictures.

MJ with her mother, Bertha on the board walk.  I LOVE this picture - check out the authentic 1920's get-ups.

In the brief interviews I have done with Grandma thus far, she talks about how her parents were quite social and loved to dance.  Every weekend they would go to the dances at the country club after a day on the golf course.  At age six Mary Jane had her own set of golf clubs and she confessed that she was "quite a good golfer" before she got married and gave up the sport since Grandpa Otto preferred hunting and fishing to the greens.

Elizabeth Bland (my great-great grandma), MJ, and father, John Hawker.

Mary Jane remembers exciting afternoons on the boardwalk in Atlantic City, beautiful days at the beach, and rollerskating on the slate floor of Grandfather Bland's general store.  She firmly attests, "You've never skated until you've skated on slate." So many good stories just waiting to be recalled from that magnificent mind!


It is thrilling to feel such an increase of the spirit in my life as I spend so much of my free time {read Daphne's NAP time!} immersed in family history work.  I have probably read Elder Bednar's talk from October General Conference 4 or 5 times now and every time his call to the work of family history and the promised blessings in store give me absolute chills.  Elder Bednar said:  

"As you respond in faith to this invitation, your hearts shall turn to the fathers. The promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be implanted in your hearts. Your patriarchal blessing, with its declaration of lineage, will link you to these fathers and be more meaningful to you. Your love and gratitude for your ancestors will increase. Your testimony of and conversion to the Savior will become deep and abiding. And I promise you will be protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary. As you participate in and love this holy work, you will be safeguarded in your youth and throughout your lives."

I can't wait to pick up on my interviews with Grandma again as the family comes down to St. George this weekend.  No time to lose!  


If you want to jump on the family history band wagon, here's a quick way to get you excited.  Go to https://createfan.com/ to create your own NINE generation fan chart in under a minute (if you've already got a familysearch or lds.org sign in name) - I don't know how long it will take if you have to set up an account first - but I'm sure it will be quick! If you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that's okay!  You can still create an account and access millions upon millions of census records and other documents that will help you track down ancestors and then create your own fan chart as well.  The chart is an incredible tool to quickly glance at and see where there are holes in your family history to work on discovering those family names.  

Family History does not have to be an old foggy hobby any longer!  I promise you will be so glad you did.  

Comments