Bill and Mable

A few weeks ago Burke and I met some neighbors down the road named Bill and Mabel.  They are an older couple in their early 80's who I've never seen outside in all the time we've lived here.  We soon learned why, because Mable went blind 2 years ago and has been terrified to go out ever since.  They moved here for their health and know almost no one in town.  They have no family here and no friends.  Because of Mable's blindness, she can no longer do any of the things that used to bring her life purpose; cooking, cleaning, decorating, corresponding with family, visiting grandchildren, hobbies, running errands, etc.  She has had to relearn to walk and now spends the great majority of her time listening to audio books or the television with Bill.  It has also been a great trial on Bill as he has had to learn to do all of the tasks that she used to take care of such as cooking dinner and grocery shopping.  She hates to leave the house and can hardly function when he is gone, so although he is a bit more social than she is, he is often trapped in the house as well, aiding her and helping her to feel secure.  Doesn't your heart break for them and their lonely situation?

I am so glad that we happened to be out on a walk while Bill was outside because going to visit them brings a lot of joy to me, especially because I can tell how much joy it brings them.  They are so incredibly lonely and having some social interactions, especially with sweet Daphne, is so encouraging for them.  Observing Mable has also made me very pensive.  What would I do if I lost my sight?  How often do I take the blessings of my senses for granted?  The fact that I can hear Daphne calling my name, that I can see the sunset at night, that I can smell hot cocoa, that I can taste holiday goodies from neighbors, that I can stroke my hubby's soft hair as we sit under the glowing tree, are all wonders that I think so little of as I utilize my senses throughout the day.  How much beauty do I fail to recognize around me?

My Dad recently sent this link to a fantastic TED talk about noticing and being grateful for the magic in the world around us and this added to my ongoing reverie of allowing myself to be increasingly awed with the world.  This video is definitely worth the 9 mins & 47 seconds it takes to watch it.  (Just be aware there is a bare butt at the start for half a sec - haha!)



This video makes me feel the spirit and enhances my appreciation for Jesus Christ and God the Father.  They made all of that!  Everything that we have on this earth they created.  Does that ever boggle your mind?  I don't understand it, but I know it to be true.  The created us.  We owe our lives - every second of every day - and the beauty that we experience on this earth all to them.  Last night as I filled the car up with gas (for $2.88! Yeah!) the most glorious sunset I have seen in a while burst through the stormy evening sky.  The entire sky on one end of the valley was a vibrant gold and a majestic full rainbow arched through the gray on the other end.  I can't remember the last time I saw a complete rainbow.  I just stood at the pump with a dorky smile on my face until the clouds covered them up again and the rain drops began in earnest.  It was a beautiful moment and in my happiness I thought of Mable who will never again, in this life, know the majesty of a golden sunset.

I feel such sympathy for this sweet woman and want so badly to help brighten her day and help her adjust to her new life without sight.  We had invited them to dinner a couple of weeks ago, but she declined as she said she is too afraid to leave the house.  We went twice more to see them and invite them to a neighborhood holiday party Shannon hosted last night.  They said 'thank you' for the invitation, but wouldn't commit to attending.  Imagine our great delight then to see them at the doorstep last night and to have them join in the party with our wonderful neighborhood.  It made me tear up to see everyone take turns sitting next to Mable to hold her hand and introduce themselves or share a conversation with her.  She looked extremely nervous and I know it was a bit chaotic with kids running everywhere and 10 different conversations babbling loudly from around the room, but I hope that she felt how everyone sincerely cared for her and wanted to become better acquainted.

How many other people like Bill and Mable are in need of our love and friendship?  Because I am from a large family, I often forget that there are people who feel - and may quite possibly be - quite alone in the world.  I think there a lot more of them out there than I ever imagined.  Holed up in the houses, watching television and going through life without a single person wondering how they are doing.  It makes me feel a profound sense of responsibility to seek these people out and share the love that I have been so abundantly blessed with.  I want to always strive to know our neighbors, to invite them into our homes and to find ways to serve and love them.  I hope with all my heart that last night was the beginning of a new stage for Bill and Mable - that getting out for a simple gathering will be the catalyst to happier and more active living.

If there is anything you can think of that I can do to help Mable in her adjustment, will you send me your suggestions?  I think Daphne and I will take her a few of our favorite Christmas CDs to listen to and just try to check up on them once a week or so.  It seems like such little things, but I hope it will make a difference for her.

Comments