Grandpa Pug

 Easter 2011 - So grateful I was able to sneak these pictures of Grandpa in such a familiar posture

Late Sunday night Burke made a checklist of all the things we needed to pack to take to Parowan the next day.  As we read through it together, I was surprised by the item "Get Grandpa Pug a Present".  Burke said we hadn't been to visit him for a while and it really would be nice to stop in on our way down or up to take him something.  I agreed readily, looking forward to the chance to visit with him.

The next day, Christmas Eve morning, Burke and I were loading up the car to drive to Parowan when we got a call from Kristen that Grandpa Pug had collapsed and that she, Alan and Marie were headed to the hospital in Cedar City.  We were a little somber as we began to drive to the store for some last minute ingredients for the cookies we planned to make that night.  I waited in the car for Burke with Daphne and when he came back out he said, "You know Em, Grandma has been gone for 2 years now, but her mind was gone for more than 10 years before that (she had Alzheimer), so Grandpa really hasn't been with her for a very long time.  Her favorite time of year was always Christmas and as I walked through the store the song, "I'll Be Home For Christmas" came to my mind.  I wonder if he'll be with her for Christmas this year."  Within 5 minutes we called Kristen to tell her we would meet them at the hospital, but her sobs told us we wouldn't be going there at all.

We met the family at the mortuary in Cedar City where Uncle Doug, Aunt Holly and their children, Aunt Adelle, Uncle Matt and their son Logan, Aunt Ann and Uncle Jim, plus Alan, Marie and Kristen were all gathered.  Grandpa lay peacefully on a table in his familiar plaid flannel shirt, covered with a quilt from the arms down and looking for all the world like he was dreaming deeply.  I have never seen a body before.  The first funeral I ever attended was Shane Mitchell's two years ago and I didn't look in the casket then, too afraid and saddened.  Marie stood by Grandpa's side, crying and stroking his head, saying that you're never ready for your parents to go.  As I stared at him, I knew his spirit was gone, that only the shell of his body remained, but I couldn't help feeling like any second his chest would rise with a deep breathe, that his eyes would open and that he would smile warmly as he always did.

Although there were tears, there was also a great sense of peace and unity in the room.  We all knew, without a doubt, that Grandpa Pug and Grandma Hazel were reunited.  We knew that he was happy.  We knew that one day we will all be together again.  I was grateful to be there, to support one another as a family and to share our faith and love.  I was especially grateful that I had the privilege of interacting with this truly good man the past 4 years and seeing the affects of a well-led life on his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  What a blessing that Grandpa got to go home for Christmas after all.


Comments