The Gratitude Project - Day 20

This has been hanging out in my drafts for a couple of weeks now.  I meant to post it before we left for Thanksgiving, but the days ran away from me.  I'll have to do a wrap up on the project tomorrow.


I sat down today to write about the things I am most grateful for and dozens of topics came to mind.  I could write about the influence music has had on my life, the power of great literature, never knowing a day of hunger, growing up in the United States, traveling the world to gain a broader perspective, receiving an education, etc., etc.  All wonderful things, but really, all of that is diminished when I think of the one thing that I am bursting to express my gratitude for today - that gift of all gifts - being a mother.


 My days spent with Daphne are so sweet, so simple.  I'm sure to an outsider our hours together may appear boring or unfulfilling.  For those dependent on proof of merit, it must be a frustrating occupation indeed.  There really is no concrete way to judge my job performance, no checklist to follow and no project deadline.  There are no trophies won, no applause, no sick days, no diplomas and no stipend.  No one pats you one the back and tells you how terrific you are (except occasionally your husband and your own mother).  In fact, no one probably gives a second thought that each day the two of you are nestled safely in the cocoon of your own little universe, following a pattern of growth, learning and happiness specifically constructed through trial and error that suits your needs.  It's not glamorous and it's often not newsworthy.

But to me - motherhood is phenomenal.

And there is nothing, absolutely nothing, I have seen or done in this life to compare with raising 
My Little Incomparable One.

There are dozens of moments in those simple days that send my heart soaring to the sun with gratitude:

When she reaches out her soft, chubby hand to hold mine as we walk.

When she looks over her shoulder with a grin to make sure I'm watching.

When she gets an owie and flees to my arms for refuge and comfort.

When she clings to my legs as I try to shuffle around the kitchen.

When I hear her repeat a new word I taught her yesterday.

When she brings me a book to read.  And another.  And another.

When she sees a picture of the Savior and says delightedly, "Jesus!"

When she calls out my name from her crib.

When she runs through the grass, surprisingly swift, laughing and shouting - so happy to be alive.

When she blows kisses to her Daddy and says, "buh-bye" over and over, even when the garage is shut and the sound of the car has died away long ago.

When she plays peek-a-boo or chase.

When she reaches out to touch my face and names each body part without being prompted.

When she lays still in my arms (however briefly) and rests her head on my chest while I sing goodnight lullabies. 

Oh my - I could not love this picture more! Daph is way into this posture lately whenever she gets excited.  She'll bend over at her waist, throw her arms out being her and run around laughing and grinning.  Too funny!

Motherhood, to me, is made magical by these little moments.  I am so grateful for my Daphne Marie who made me a mother and who makes these simple days, simply joyful.

Here are a few videos of a glimpse of some of those recent moments that make me so happy - a peak into our cocoon.

Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize your own digital collage

Comments