In Response to "To the Limit"

I just wanted to thank all the friends and family who responded to my last post about the challenges we've been going through with Daphne the past couple of months.  Many of you suggested reading "Love and Logic" (which we have) and I decided to do a refresher course to help me implement the things I read last year.  I also appreciated advice to ignore unpleasant behavior, to recognize the nature of "phases and stages" of children (especially 2-year-olds), to remember that when children transition out of naps it's a difficult time for everyone and simply to remember that many parents are experiencing similar situations and I am not alone in my frustrations with my child and myself.


Things have been going much better the past couple of weeks, due primarily to a shift in attitude.  I finally stopped denying that Daphne is done napping for good (*sob*) and that trying to force her to take a nap has been a huge source of contention and frustration for us.  Instead, she has a little quiet time each day, so I can still feel like I get a break, but she doesn't have to feel like she's being forced to sleep when she's "not tired."


Even though we are still finding ways to deal with this strong, stubborn and independent spirit, I have been trying to focus on all that is bright and beautiful about my child.  As my Dad reminded me, I would much rather be raising a strong-willed child than a total wimp.  I am proud of her strength and know that it will serve her well if I can learn how to channel it into productive pathways.   

 
Daphne with Kitty - She is OBSESSED with that silly stuffed animal

The vast majority of our day is full of tender moments, happy tasks, structured learning and spontaneous fun!  Of course there are bumps throughout the day.  It would be unrealistic to expect that there will be no conflicts and consequences.  We are both learning and growing from the process.  I'm certain I'm the one being refined, far more so than this tiny angel who has been given to my care.  I am grateful to be her mother.

Comments