Veterans Day 2013

*The following couple of posts were in my drafts that I forgot to publish, so they're a few months old.

November 11, 2013


Took Daphne to the Veterans Memorial Park today to observe the program put on by the community to honor our local and national veterans.  I always feel reverent and emotional at these types of events.  I am very patriotic thanks to parents who raised us to feel gratitude for all who sacrificed for our freedoms, but I feel I have become even more so as I have learned about my own family history and the part my ancestors played in our national history.  Above you can see the Iron County WWII Veterans listed in stone, included Burke's Grandfather (Alan's father), Hugh Leech Adams who fought in the European theater.  I got quite chocked up as I tried to explain to Daphne why we honor him for his service.


Next I came across this beautiful monument of a globe with stars depicting the locations of the military theaters during the war.  Of course I was drawn to the "China-Burma-India" side which instantly made my heart swell with pride for these two...


My Grandmother Mary Jane Ellsworth and my Grandfather Otto Ellsworth who met, served and married in India for 2 years during the war.  I felt very proud of their service and proud to be an American.  Even as our country wades through turbulent waters, I feel it is still the greatest country on earth with good people found in every town, city and state across its wide expanse.  I still believe in America.  And I still believe we can be great again.

Comments