Scary Spots

Ever since I started working at Dixie Dermatology I have begun to notice abnormalities in people all around me: dark moles, scaly skin, adult acne - you name it. I keep this little observations filed away in my head, wondering what Dr. Trimble would prescribe for them. No one hears these little hypothesis I form in my mind. No one that is, but Burke. Unfortunately for him, the Burue has been unable to escape my analysis of skin, his skin in particular. I can't help it! Now that I am more aware of what to look for, every irregularity stands out! I first noticed one mole...and then another.

* * *
*GASP!* "Alan Burke Adams, what is THIS?!" I point with a horrified finger at an oblong mole on Burke's belly button that is scary multi-colored spot of brown and white.

"Don't you dare touch my belly button!" Burke backs away as he sees the frantic look in my eyes and puts both hands protectively over his stomach.

"That looks pretty scary to me. You could have cancer!" The certainty that Burke does INDEED have cancer courses through me like an electric shock and my eyes begin to fill with mourning tears. "I don't want to be widowed at four months!"

Burke just rolls his eyes. He's getting used to my unexpected dramatic leaps from the world of reality.
* * *
It took me a couple weeks, but at last my paranoia won over and Burke came in one morning as the first appointment of the day at the unholy hour of 7 AM (you never thought you'd see the day where I'd be waking up for work at 6 every morning, did you?!). Dr. Trimble relayed that the mole on his belly was just loosing pigment in the middle and didn't look too dangerous. Burke had a big 'ol smirk on his face until Dr. Trimble found a multi-colored mole I hadn't even noticed on his hip and proceeded to biopsy the little bugger in seconds. To his credit, Burke was very brave and the girls all said I looked more nervous than he did!

We got the pathology report back this week and it turns out that the mole was irregular so now we have an appointment next week to cut off a few more! Poor Burkie! I really do feel sorry for him, but it does soothe my nerves to have them being taken care of rather than worrying if there is something wrong. Hopefully none of them turn up cancerous! I'll keep you posted.

Seriously though folks, I am a strong advocate now of keeping track of all your moles so that if a new one appears then you can get it checked out. We recently had one of our very own nurses find a new mole on her behind, had it removed and it was a pre-melanoma! AHH!!! So, not to scare you, but be aware!

Comments

Wendi said…
oh man I am so glad someone else shares this sort of thing with me. I'm goin' to keep track of my spots! haha!