The Sunfirst Sluggers and the Great Burkbino

Starting in July, Burke and I began to play "D League Coed Softball" once a week. I know, I know...we sound pretty hard core. :) The "D League" is a collaboration of teams from different businesses in St. George. Burke has worked at Sunfirst Bank for 4 years now and has been roped into playing with their bank team several times.
You can imagine my surprise when he came home from work one day with my very own XL jersey (can you say jersey dress?) and tried to convince me that I would be playing catcher. "You gotta be kidding me. Catcher?!" I complained. I ended up playing right field stationed next to my athletic husband where I had exactly TWO balls come my way all season...one of which I dropped clumsily and the hit my foot...hard. I was hands down the weakest link on the team in fielding and hitting, but get me on base and I could cause some damage.
Here we are in all of our glory with a 3 wins-6 loses record.
Now Burke, unlike me, is a baseball superstar! Seriously. I loved watching him play and seeing him excelling at something he's so talented at. With years of baseball experience though, our constant blunders were beyond frustrating to our Great Burkbino. Let me give you an example.
One night I hit a bunt and actually got on base. The first base coach prepped me, "Alright Em, now we have two outs, so it doesn't matter if Ben hits a pop fly. You run on ANYTHING. Use those wheels girl and get us home!" I bent into position and when the fat softball clanked against Ben's bat I took off down the stretch to second base kicking red St. George dust up in my wake. I rounded second and tagged the base, a slight detour as I burned towards third. There Burke was, the third base coach, waving his arms and yelling as I closed the distance in seconds, "Hold it here Em. Hold it. STOP!" WOOOSH!!! I zipped right past him with not even a glimmer of hesitation. OUT! I wasn't even half way to home when the ump pumped his fist in the air and sent me back to the dugout amidst the grumbles of my team. Burke came running up to the cage, held his arms wide and said, "What the heck?! Why do I even bother!" I personally thought it was hilarious. Burke is still ticked to this day. :)

I'll listen next time coach!

Comments