A Bit Politically Passive

I don't know about you, but I absolutely loath when people feel the need to share cram their hyper-opinionated views about politics down everyone's throat via facebook/blogs.  Burke and I have discussed this issue frequently over the past couple of years, especially as the presidential election has crept ever closer, causing an explosion of arguments to smatter the newsfeed of our facebook accounts.  I am so tired of people slamming each other because they fall under the opposite political banner, categorizing them instantly as an enemy and assuming unending irrational conclusions about that persons beliefs and behaviors based on their political stance.

It feels like some people are just itching for a fight.  They are always on the lookout for a witty way to rebuttle - "Yes, I see your point BUT..." or, "According to such and such an article, this statistic is actually incorrect BECAUSE..."  Do they really think they are ever going to convince someone else that their views are wrong over Facebook?  Do they really think that posting about the latest Obama/Romney scandal is going to win votes for their favored candidate?

Now, I'm not saying we should bury our heads in the sand and ignore the heated dialogue warring around us or that we shouldn't have our opinions.  I think it is important to be well informed about BOTH sides.  I believe it is a sacred privilege that we have the opportunity to vote for our leaders and policies and find it shocking how few people exercise that privilege.  However, I am daily disgusted by the approach people are taking to "discuss" these opinions.  I wish there was a way to get people to tone it down, to be respectful and to do their research so they don't come across so narrow-minded and bigoted.

So I guess my question is - do you think there is a way to do that?  To be involved without being aggressive?   To have opinions, but to be open to other views that could potentially even shift your position?

I don't like conflict and I find myself being politically passive so as to avoid it.  I feel stupid when a conversation about politics arises, because I don't feel well-spoken on this subject and don't know how to voice my opinion without coming across as ignorant.  Am I even entitled to an opinion if I don't know ALL the facts?  And how do we even get all the facts when our news sources are so twisted and corrupt?  After watching several blatant lies revealed by major news media stations, I am always skeptical and distrustful of the news, fearing that the things I am hearing/seeing have been cut, trimmed and edited to target a specific agenda and audience.  All of this makes me want to put my fingers in my ears when there is any mention of government and sing, "La la la - I can't hear you!" and I know that's clearly not the solution.  So what is?

If you are politically minded, how did you educate yourself?  How did you learn to read through the rhetoric to find the truth in the message of our politicians?  Are there any tactics you would suggest to find truth?  Any enlightening books that you have read?  I would like to be more educated so I can feel more confident and can take a more active stance in these discussions, rather than passively watch as it all plays out.

Tonight Burke and I are watching the last presidential debate with our neighbors and my stomach is a bit in knots already.  The last two debates, plus the constant feud between left and right wing over the past several months has made me anxious and unsettled as we tune in to yet another war of words.

Can't we all just get along?! :)

Comments

Whitney said…
Emily--I'm going to send you an email. I was writing a big long comment, and I thought, heck, just put this in an email. :)