Conference Highlights

Sunday walk between conference sessions

I remember as a kid loving conference because it meant we could stay at home in our pajamas on Saturday and Sunday, coloring pictures, putting together puzzles and eating snacks while gathered around the TV as a family.  There was always such a good feeling of family unity and love during this time.  I don't know when conference changed for me, when I actually started listening to the words of the apostles and the prophet of God or when I first felt the pricking in my heart that their messages had meaning just for me.  Now, every six months I look forward to conference with happy anticipation, not for the "day off" of going to church, but for a weekend full of edification and personal enlightenment.

I have found there to be great power in searching my heart the weeks and days before conference to discover and recognize my deep desires, my short comings and my questions for God.  I have taken to praying about these things for many days before conference begins, asking that I might find answers, guidance or peace.  Every conference I am touched, but no longer amazed, when the private yearnings of my heart are answered directly and lovingly.  Sometimes the answer comes in the form of a gentle rebuke, reminding me of the things I need to repent of and change.  Sometimes I am enveloped in a message of comfort and encouragement.  Regardless of the form it takes, God speaks to me through the words of his disciples and it is a wondrous thing to experience.


Every time the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang Daphne would get up and start leading the music!


This conference weekend was especially delightful.  We drove to St. George Friday night where we had a lovely dinner with the Ridings and my parents who drove down from Logan to be with us.  We stayed up late playing Bananagrams and talking.  Daphne (and consequently Burke and I) had a horrible night of sleep, but despite my foggy head, the next day was still fantastic.  As we gathered around the Riding's  TV for the morning session of conference, it was with great shock that we heard the historical announcement that the age minimum for missionaries has changed from 19 to 18 for boys and from 21 to 19 for girls.  WOW!  I can't tell you how delighted I am by the change and excited to see the effect this will have on the missionary work world wide.


Some of my favorite talks were President Uchtdorf's talk about enjoying the journey of life and focusing on what matters most (found HERE), Elder Holland's talk about being loyal disciples of Jesus Christ (found HERE), and President Eyring's talk about trusting in God's timing (found HERE).  But really, they were all SO good!  You can find all the conference archives HERE.  If you don't have time to hear all those, at least listen to this wonderful talk of the prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, while he shared experiences of never ignoring a prompting.


My neighbor recently told me how she tries to listen to a conference talk every day while doing dishes or folding laundry.  I am currently listening to President Uchtdorf's talk again while I type.  This way I hope to listen to the past conference at least once more by the time the next conference rolls around.



On Saturday night my parents came down with Burke, Daphne and I to our home in Mesquite where we were able to host them for a day.  It was so nice to be with them, to introduce them to Downton Abbey (I think they're hooked too! Yes!), to enjoy a toasty Sunday afternoon walk and to watch a few more sessions of conference.  Daphne loved having them here and so did we!

Comments