Mimic


This video is a couple of weeks old, but I love how it gives you an idea of the ways Daphne is growing and learning right now.  She is such a crack up - constantly doing things that she knows will make us laugh like doing this cheeser smile at dinner time.  She understands so much and I am sometimes surprised to see the things she has stored away in her mind and will later mimic at the most unexpected moments.

For example, last week I was scared to death to invite a neighbor and friend to come to a church activity with me.  I didn't want to offend her, but thought she might enjoy the activity.  I had already pushed aside several promptings to extend other invitations to her and I felt that this was a 'now or never' kind of moment for me.  As I went to the garage with Daphne to put her in her little wagon, I knelt next to the work out bench and rested my head on it, quickly saying a prayer to ask Heavenly Father to give me the right words to say and to help me not to be afraid.  I prayed that our friend would not be annoyed by my invitation but would recognize it as a gesture of love.  The visit went so smoothly and my neighbor ended up attending and loving the activity!

This was a great experience for me to learn to follow promptings, even when I am afraid.  However, it was also incredibly eye-opening to me when the next day as we went in the garage to get Daphne's stroller she ran straight over to the workout bench, laid her head against it and closed her eyes, speaking a string of gibberish and then looking up at me with a huge grin like, "Look Mom!  I can pray too!"  It brought tears to my eyes as I realized my daughter is observing everything I do and say.  It made me reflect on the kind of interactions she sees between Burke and I, our neighbors, and especially when it's just she and I at home.  Am I being the kind of example I want to be to my daughter?  Are my words kind and gentle?  When I stub my toe, am I letting words fly that will teach her to be well-spoken and refined?  Am I doing anything that I would be embarrassed for her to mimic?


My baby is no longer a baby and soon she will be stating her independence more regularly through actions and words.  I hope that I can establish patterns now that will influence her for good for the rest of her life.

Comments

Jem said…
Emily. Your posts are so tender. I wish that I was that in tune to life as you are. Daphne has a great example in her mom. No worries.